Missile Shield Microwave/ Lasers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missile Shield Microwave/ Lasers

With the multibillion dollar waste of money the US government is paying out to make some pretty lucky guys rich, I mean come on it's been proven it doesn't work and they are still working on it. It pays to have connections in washington. I don't think it will ever really do the job. Nor has it so far really in any tests. But I do see the US as being able to shine with Microwave/ laser technology. I see this being an awesome defense. Do any of you have any idea what kind of technology like this is currently being developed? The most I have heard about in this reguard was out of Israel and it was pretty good at knocking down some rockets but nothing amazing and the Unit was pretty big.

Dude,
    Yuve already passed judgements even before knowing whats going on with USAF ABL program. and Israel is not even close to what USAF have acheived on this regard. The ABL program is in advanced integration testing as of Dec 2005 after succesful ground tests.

Use your friendly resource - google.com for more info.
    A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

It was back in the late 70s or early 80s when the Navy tested a new anti-missile weapon off of San Diego and it worked beautifully.

I'm not a sparktrician so I don't know what kinds of waves or frequencies were involved (they were somewhat classified anyway - only an article in the newspaper was allowed to say it worked). Basically, as the missile was incoming an electronic beam was projected on it that degaused the electrical circuitry, relays and switches in the bird's guidance and propulsion control system. The missile just shut off and fell into the ocean like a dead duck.

Naturally, since this beam also put some circuitry out of "phase" we called it ----- The Phaser. And I'm NOT making this up either. But why we haven't installed it on ships in lieu of the CIWS and Sea Sparrows was not within my "Need to know" parameters.

Maybe it required too much power. Maybe it took too long to find the right frequencies to "Phase out" or the right circuitry to degaus. I don't know but I sure as hell would like to have seen that mounted on the Battleships.

Wouldn't it be funny if on the first ship it is installed on that the Captain's name was Kirk and his weapons officer was Scott? "Kirk to Scott. Beam that bird into Davey Jones' locker."
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay
        Dude,
        Yuve already passed judgements even before knowing whats going on with USAF ABL program. and Israel is not even close to what USAF have acheived on this regard. The ABL program is in advanced integration testing as of Dec 2005 after succesful ground tests.

Use your friendly resource - google.com for more info.
        Dude
        Look one thread down. Link Have you read the about the tests over the past 4 years? BTW what I'm talking about with Israel hasn't been tested for balistic missles. But you got to start somewhere. Beats just tossing a bunch of missles with 20% of hitting something and trying to get everyone to believe it was money well spent.

Comment

You are talking about 2 different things. I was specifically talking about Laser-USAF ABL and no other nation has acheived what US has acheived in that area.
          A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Originally posted by glow
            With the multibillion dollar waste of money the US government is paying out to make some pretty lucky guys rich, I mean come on it's been proven it doesn't work and they are still working on it.
            You're not an American, are you...
            It pays to have connections in washington. I don't think it will ever really do the job. Nor has it so far really in any tests.
            Only 4 out of 5 successful, last I heard.
            But I do see the US as being able to shine with Microwave/ laser technology. I see this being an awesome defense. Do any of you have any idea what kind of technology like this is currently being developed?
            Yep.
            The most I have heard about in this reguard was out of Israel and it was pretty good at knocking down some rockets but nothing amazing and the Unit was pretty big.
            That was the THEL. We pulled the plug on that last year.
            "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

So if it doesn't work we give up?
              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut
                So if it doesn't work we give up?
                You buy a perfected product. Not keep paying for something that doesn't work and trying to get other nations to buy it too. If you buy a car and it breaks down every 5 miles wouldn't you want to put your money into something that will actually work? This seems more like some big cash deals. Lot of people making some money when it should be going to other more reliable options than missles that hit 20% of their targets

Comment

With the multibillion dollar waste of money the US government is paying out to make some pretty lucky guys rich
                  Oh, go choke on a turd you little moron.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem
                    Oh, go choke on a turd you little moron.

-dale
                    Prove to me I'm wrong. Because of course this sort of thing doesn't happen all the time. Just like politicans never get paid off. Or do you still believe politicians are honest?

Comment

Prove to me I'm wrong.
                      Prove you're right. You got nothing so far...
                      No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
                      I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                      even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                      He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Prove to me I'm wrong. Because of course this sort of thing doesn't happen all the time. Just like politicans never get paid off. Or do you still believe politicians are honest?
                        Glow chokes on turds.

Prove to me I'm wrong.

-dale

Comment

link
                          Link 2

Well as many reports from scientists saying this won't I dunno.. After all it's been missing targets for what 4 years now?

"Overall, the Pentagon estimates it will need $53 billion in the next five years to develop, field and upgrade a multilayered shield also involving systems based at sea, aboard modified Boeing 747 aircraft and in space."

Gee Boeing is making a pretty penny.
                          *Hey government we'll make a missle shield that might work!
                          +Okay! here's 80 billion for something that might not work.
                          *Gee thanks! BTW we'll need $53billion more to upgrade our shield that hasn't proven to fully work. And Sweet you can trust your safety to a modified 747 wooo!

Money well spent. I love how they are calling it upgrade. The thing isn't even in finished working order.

I think the guys at Boeing know if they get a bunch of missles sent they're ****ed anyways so whats the difference just rake in the cash for something that gives politicians and people a warm fuzzy feeling inside. What is Boeing going to say after there was a missile strike it didn't do the job? Well whoever survives I'm sure they could say it worked great they just didn't have enough funding to create a bigger shield.

Comment

One of your links cites a 62.5% success in testing.
                            No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
                            I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                            even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                            He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

And the second link just cites the abort from over a year ago. That test was rescheduled and was successful after the telemetry problem was fixed. (I happen to know the pilot of the chase plane from that test).

The prob was not in the interceptor, but in the test software. It was decided (correctly) to abort the test, since had they carried it out, most of the data would not have been collected, and the excersize would have been wasted.
                              "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Working...
                              X