Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's a reasonable priced digital camera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a reasonable priced digital camera?

I browsed through several camers on CNET and came across this: Sony Cybershot DSC-S600. Here is a link for this:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-...oductDetail.do

I want to get a digital camera but I am unwilling to pay more than 200 bucks for it. I am looking for a nice quality durable simple to use and can store photos easily and have the highest MP for 200 dollars. The Sony is the best one I could find.

What does this grate site think of this Sony camera?

ebay is your friend.

Comment

Sony's are always good and like the man says: Ebay.
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

We have an Olympus D-560 Zoom with Camedia software for downloading on the PC (though other photo programs will work also such as Adobe or HP). The chip that comes with it doesn't hold much but you can buy super chips that will hold a whole vacation load of pics.

Just have to be careful to set the size of pics going into the camera. Very small will give you tons of pics but very low quality. Too big and you are limited to the number of pics you make until download time. But you want to keep the size fairly large because you may need to crop and enlarge after it gets loaded on your PC. With the large pics you won't lose too much quality during enlargement.

Personally I am very happy with it but uses AA batteries up pretty fast as you have NO control over the flash. It will flash when IT thinks it should. I have to remember to cover the flash if I want to do a silouhette or a stained glass window. But battery power will still be used.

Yet it's a very good camera and the price is very reasonable. I think. I got it for Christmas a couple of years ago.
        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Use this site for review of digicams. http://www.dpreview.com/
          Hala Madrid!!

Comment

I used to have a Sony Cyber shot and I did not care for it. I have a Kodak something or another now...I will look when I get home and I LOVE it.

Try Tiger to see if you can find what you want reasonably priced. They have some "refurbished" ones, as well.

Tiger Direct

EDIT: I am pretty sure this is the one I have currently and, even though it came out almost 2 years ago, like it enough that I am not ready to get a new one. I was surprised, too, as I did not think I would like the Kodak.
            Last edited by THL; 10 Apr 06,, 13:49.
            "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

IMO, Sony Cybershot is crap, I bought a P90 a while back and didnt like it much. Dell Home once in a while have good deals on Canon, check for Canon A70, S70's. They are awesome simple point and shoot camera's but they have a lot of features as well..
              A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

I recieved a Kodak Easyshare C310 as a gift, and the circuit city price for it is about 150.00 at the most. Can't acuaally say anything bad about it, despite it being my first digicam.

It is a 4.0 megapixel, and rechargable batteries are made specifically for it. They can be bought either with the camera dock (which you don't want of course), or seperately for about 12.00 extra if I'm not mistaken.

It's only real drawback I've found, is that snapshots aren't something it's good for. And snapshots tend to be what I'm best at.

Comment

Go with Canon.

Sony has good quality but I think their camaras use memory sticks, which is proprietary.

Olympus makes decent camaras, but their camaras use xD cards, which is also proprietary (or at least no one else uses it).

Nikon is good. But I find my Nikon isn't as good as a similarly priced Canon.

The 2 things you are looking for when buying a digital camara is the optical zoom and the pixel count. High optical zoom is good because it's optical zoom. High pixel count is good because it lets you blow up a certain portion of the picture and not lose too much clarity.

You can get a 4MP with 3x optical zoom camara for around $150 now. A 6MP one should run you between $250 - $300. Normal point and shoot tourists don't need anything higher than 5MP, although it's nice to have if it's there.
                  "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...397766-5054853

Features

7.1 MP for brilliant prints
                    4x optical Zoom
                    2 inch vary-angle display
                    SD - 32 MB SD supplied
                    Pictbridge Compatible
                    DIGIC II Processor
                    20 Shooting modes with 8 special scene modes
                    9 point AiAF
                    My colours and print/share button
                    See full Technical Data

I have this & have 2 say quality is A1. I am not much fan of movies but the movie mode is awesome.
                    A real handy thing.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut
                      Sony has good quality but I think their camaras use memory sticks, which is proprietary.
                      They do use memorysticks.

I can only compare my 3mp Sony to the 6mp Kodak I have now, which is a rather unfair comparison, however my mom has a 3mp Fuji something or another and even that takes better pics than my sony every could have dreamed of.

Also, Kodak came with much better software than the Sony if that makes a difference. I rarely use it since I have other software I like better.
                      "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

And trust me you dont need a camera thats more than 6 MP as you are not going to print poster out of your pictures! Look for a camera that has a good optical zoom and again dont bother with digital zoom.

I have some of my pictures hosted here, FYI..I have a Canon S70.
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/kvmohan

Comment

BM,

You can get a good one like this for $150...
                          http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...v=&browse=&s=1

You gotta be a Costco member though!!

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                          X