Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Human skin lampshades

Gentlemen:

I was reading that the story about the nazis making lampshades out of human skin in concentration camps is now considered an urban myth.
    Yet, in 1995 I was visiting the Central Museum of Armed Forces in Moscow and I kind of remember that I saw an example of such a lampshade on exhibit, amongst various items recovered by the Soviet Army during WW2.
    Has anybody visited that museum or can confirm otherwise what I think I saw ?
    Thanks a bunch.

Yep it is true.. there is a long history of making things from human skin, from book covers to blankets.. there has been a few skin tanners/workers who favored, and specialized in working with skin that was tattooed. Human leather/skin is a long lasting, rather tough type of leather if tanned properly.

Comment

IIRC they were a few lampshades made, but it was not a whole industry that some writer make it out to be. It detracts nothing from Nazi Atrocities at all, but it is true that ibn this instance they are "innocent".
      "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

If you do some research you will find this is far from a Nazi ideal, and was happening centuries prior to the Nazi's.. there are more than a few books right here in America that are covered with human skin/leather.. this process has been around for a very long time, and you will also find that while not common, it passes though most cultures.

A vast number of prestigious libraries, including most Ivy league University's have such books in their collections where the covers are made from human skin, Most major libraries will have some of these books as well. Human leather was relatively cheap, durable and waterproof, and fairly easy to come by. The skin from criminals who wereexecuted, cadavers used in medical schools and people who died in the "poor houses" were most often used as "skin doners".

George Walton's memoirswhere bound in his OWN skin, Walton was a highwayman,a robber who specialized in ambushing travelers, he left the volume to one of his victims.

There are Quran's that are bound in human leather, The College of Physicians in Philadelphia has four bound by Dr. John Hough, known for diagnosing the city's first case of trichinosis. The good doctor used THAT patient's skin to bind three of the volumes.

Human leather is a old pratice.
        Last edited by Nagalfar; 19 Apr 06,, 18:52.

Comment

Recall sth from Shirer's The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich .... some wife of a Nazi known as the 'Btich of Buchenwald' used to employ tattooed parts of murdered camp inmates as lampshades or so.

Edit:

Googled this up.. http://www.fatherryan.org/holocaust/buchen/Ilsekoch.htm

Comment

Working...
          X