This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army vs Marine Infantry

Guessing this has been done before, but i was wondering what the differences were in each branches general light Infantry, Marines def put more emphasis on it. But that does not mean the army's is inferior. Do they both basically fallow the same doctrine? and where are they different?

I believe the marines take orders from the navy, while the army has its own leaders....
    (Ducking away from the beer cans thrown...)

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by gangle
      Guessing this has been done before, but i was wondering what the differences were in each branches general light Infantry, Marines def put more emphasis on it. But that does not mean the army's is inferior. Do they both basically fallow the same doctrine? and where are they different?
      Organization is slightly different (e.g. Marines will have a separate weapons platoon and attach their machine guns to platoons based on the mission instead of having them already assigned to platoons like the Army) and equipment can be slightly different. Overall, tactics are the same. Doctrine is different because they have different doctrinal missions with different capabilities (e.g. amphibious landing, Marine Expedetionary Force). That's a very general statement, but it should convey that if you dressed them the same and watched some silent video, you probably wouldn't be able to tell any difference unless you were a Marine or an Army grunt and knew what fine details to look for.

As far as emphasis, within the infantry you won't find a difference. Outside the infantry, you'll find that the Marines have more of a warrior attitude, one that you would associate with infantry. However, the cold realities of OIF and increased training opportunities for non combat arms within the Army will have closed some of this gap.
      "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

On a whole, Army tactics are based around larger units and longer duration combat. However, like Shek said, with recent conflicts Marine and army units have been doing basically the same thing.
        F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree
          I believe the marines take orders from the navy, while the army has its own leaders....
          (Ducking away from the beer cans thrown...)
          LOL.

I laughed everytime I took an envelope out of the mailbox with the return address:

United States Marine Corps, Department of the Navy

ROFL.
          "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Marines are naval infantry with an emphasis on amphibious operations. Their training is also significantly better than USA Infantrymens training(in both length and intensity) until you get up into the 'elite' light units such as the 82d, 101st, 75th, 173d, etc. Even then i'd expect the marines to be better shots on average than their army counterparts.
            Likewise Marine snipers are much better trained than US army regular infantry(not SOCOM) snipers. However, the training disparity is IMO greatly eroded the more time both Army or Marine troops spend in the field at their units.

Ie an Army troop with 2x the field time despite much lower baseline training i would expect to outperform the Marine in most tasks(or vice versa, of course).

OJT is by far the most valuable kind.

Im not sure i agree with the good Major Shek about the warrior ethos being greater in a Jarhead unit though.

When i was in we were pretty well focused on the task of killing Godless Communist Heathen Scum in the millions.

Reagan was president Sir- he filled us all with a genuine desire to run the Evil Empire through it's dark underbelly with our bayonets until it was spewing dismembered Bulshevik guts.

I hated the Soviets.
            Last edited by Bill; 06 Apr 06,, 21:54.

Comment

Shek, when did the promotion come through?

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                Im not sure i agree with the good Major Shek about the warrior ethos being greater in a Jarhead unit though.
                I was talking about the Army as a whole vs the USMC as a whole. Take for example, your favorite kind of unit - one that is coed ;)

As far as Army infantry vs. USMC infantry, that will be unit by unit and based on the NCO and officer leadership.
                "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by BenRoethig
                  Shek, when did the promotion come through?
                  Ben,
                  This past weekend. President Bush is coming to SAIS to speak on Monday - maybe I can get a message to the White House and have him pin on the oak leaves once he's done with the speech

Comment

Congratulations

Comment

Originally posted by BenRoethig
                      Congratulations
                      Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by shek
                        Ben,
                        This past weekend. President Bush is coming to SAIS to speak on Monday - maybe I can get a message to the White House and have him pin on the oak leaves once he's done with the speech
                        Congratulations, Shek!

You think you could put in a good word for me with ol' GW? I would like to go to Washington DC this summer or the next and I am going to need a place to stay. ;)
                        "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

My wife sent an invitation to Dubya for her commissioning.

But the Protocol Office actually CALLED HER UP to regret that the President could not make it, but he sends his kind regards and wishes for a great career. Lt. Bluesman thought it was a joke at first.

Cool, even if he didn't make the ceremony...

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal
                            LOL.

I laughed everytime I took an envelope out of the mailbox with the return address:

United States Marine Corps, Department of the Navy

ROFL.
                            Yeah.. its the MENS DEPT. of the Navy.

Comment

Hi,

I a new member and I am seeking some clarification.

I thought the US Marine is a seperate service by itself ?

Meaning there are 4 services in the Armed Forces:
                              1. Army
                              2. Navy
                              3. Airforce
                              4. Marine

...taken from "My American Journey" by Collin Powell...

Joint Chiefs of Staff during Desert Storm:
                              Chairman JCS - General Collin Powell
                              Vice Chairman JCS - Admiral David Jeremiah
                              1. Chief of Naval Operation - Admiral Frank Kelso
                              2. Commandant of the Marine Corps - General Al Gray
                              3. Chief of Staff of the Air Force - General Merill "Tony" Mcpeak.
                              4. Chief of Staff of the Army - General Carl Vouno

... on facing military spending cut after the cold war...

The Army and Airforce are the most vulnerable....
                              ...The Navy was next in line for a substantial whack...
                              ...The Marines were on somewhat firmer ground,....

Pse share your thoughts. :) :)

Comment

Working...
                              X