Clear All

• Capitol police ask for arrest warrant for McKinney

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...3mckinney.html

Capitol police ask for arrest warrant for McKinney

Black leaders say McKinney victim of racial profiling

By BOB KEMPER, S.A. REID
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Published on: 04/03/06

WASHINGTON — Capitol Hill police on Monday asked a federal prosecutor to approve an arrest warrant for Rep. Cynthia McKinney for her role in a scuffle with a police officer last week, the prosecutor's office confirmed.

Capitol Police had no immediate comment so it's not yet known whether the intent is to file felony or misdemeanor assault charges against McKinney, a DeKalb County Democrat.

Coz Carson, a spokesman for McKinney, said the requested warrant should be dismissed if "this is a prosecutor who's not a politician."

"Any prosecutor with any sense can look at this thing and understand that it's not something that should be blown out of proportion any further," Carson said.

The office of the U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia, Kenneth Wainstein, must approve the request by Capitol Hill police before police can go to a judge to ask for an arrest warrant.

Officials familiar with the process have said a warrant can be obtained within a day, though that doesn't mean a warrant against McKinney would be.

McKinney was stopped by a Capitol Hill police officer last Wednesday as she tried to go around a security checkpoint in a House office building. Members of Congress are allowed to go around the ubiquitous checkpoints, but the police officer failed to recognize McKinney as a member of Congress and tried to stop her.

After calling to McKinney to stop, the officer touched her shoulder or arm. That prompted McKinney to spin around and the strike the officer, though there are conflicting reports as to whether she slapped him, punched him in the chest or struck him with a cell phone.

McKinney was not wearing a special lapel pin given to members of Congress to make them easier to identify. She also has changed her hairstyle since her official House portrait, the picture police would check to identify her.

Also Monday, black preachers, elected officials and activists in Atlanta cited McKinney's recent run-in with Capitol police as an example of racial profiling and called what happened to her disrespectful.

Concerned Black Clergy of Metropolitan Atlanta, along with members of the Georgia Association of Black Elected Officials, announced their continued support for the sixth-term congresswoman at a morning meeting.

Supporters say the incident has been blown out of proportion and politicized. Her treatment, they added, was excessive and shows that black elected officials aren't immune to problems of double standards and racial profiling other African-Americans face.

"Racial profiling is a well thought out and planned attack on black political leaders," state Rep. Alberta Abdul-Salaam said Monday. "It's going from the gold dome down to the White House. It's happening and it's wrong."

McKinney was in attendance at the morning meeting and said she was grateful for the support. She would not comment on the incident, but instead focused on the work her office is doing on behalf of her 4th District constituents.

"You can rest assured I'm doing the work that you sent me to Washington to do," McKinney said. "Nothing is going to keep me away from my responsibility."
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Originally posted by shek
    "Racial profiling is a well thought out and planned attack on black political leaders," state Rep. Alberta Abdul-Salaam said Monday. "It's going from the gold dome down to the White House. It's happening and it's wrong."
    Where is the profiling? She actually is the one that hit a cop. No special treatment, arrest her, book her, convict her, and sentence her to give a public apology, anger management classes, a psych profile, and community service. Same as would happen to anyone else who hit a cop...
    No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
    I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
    even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
    He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

This is her 5th confrontation with security, they are allowed to walk around check points if they have their congress pin on. She didn't and is well known for not wearing it. It seems to me, see needs to read the security procedures and maybe she would realize the gaurd was doing his job and she wasn't. If I was a guard I would stop her every time even if I reconized her, until she followed the security procedures, let every one know up the chain, that she refuses to adhere to policy. She claims to be such a great leader and can't even follow a simple security check in, she needs to check in her hood additude!

Comment

More black victim mentality from the top. I bet she'll launch an attack on Bush and the security of this nation if she was not stopped at the check point. You just can't win.

I actually encounterd a white apologist at work who accused Bush's tax cut as favoring white people. I asked him if the tax code applies differently to white as opposed to blacks. He just froze right there.

God damn ****ing racists calling other people racists to cover their own sick mind and to feel better about themselves.
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

One might come to the conclusion that the biitch does this stuff on purpose to garner attention....

Comment

She doesn't need to be arrested: a good spanking and mandatory manners school.

Comment

What's amazing is that this person keeps being sent back to Washington every couple of years by the people of her state.
              There's an old proverb that says " People get the govenment that they deserve." No place is this truer, than in a republic.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctified
                What's amazing is that this person keeps being sent back to Washington every couple of years by the people of her state.
                There's an old proverb that says " People get the govenment that they deserve." No place is this truer, than in a republic.
                In her case, it's not the state but her congressional district. I bet it's a predominantly black district. It's their way of "sticking it to the man."
                "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut
                  In her case, it's not the state but her congressional district. I bet it's a predominantly black district. It's their way of "sticking it to the man."
                  Yeah its Atlanta, I would say predominantly black is an understatement.

I get so tired of hearing racism from every black that does anything wrong. I've said it before and I will say it again, racism would be such a small issue in this country if the Black community would stop bringing it up every time one of them screws up and gets caught. And now we have the freaking muslims pulling the same ****. Just shut the hell up.

But I do think that this one back fired on her. Most people are not taking her too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by tankervet
                    I get so tired of hearing racism from every black that does anything wrong. I've said it before and I will say it again, racism would be such a small issue in this country if the Black community would stop bringing it up every time one of them screws up and gets caught. And now we have the freaking muslims pulling the same ****. Just shut the hell up.
                    I couldent have said it better. I am a firm beliver in the fact that for every White racist there are 10 minority racists just they we are brought up under the PC cirriculum in schools that lead us to belive that only White people can be racist.

Also does this lady not realize that it was only a few years ago when 2 US Capitol Police officers were shot and killed trying to stop a lunatic from entering the building? Shes lucky she was only grabbed and not shot/tazed/sprayed,etc

Comment

Working...
                    X