PDA

View Full Version : best hand to hand weapon

Ironside
31 Mar 06,, 04:52
I am not sure if this thread has been done before but i am curious to know what you think the best hand to hand weapon is and why you think that

Officer of Engineers
31 Mar 06,, 05:05
I always tell my engineers that if they ever get close enough for hand-to-hand, start running.

1) Either we're too far up front and our artillery is about to fall

Or

2) They're too up front and their artillery is about to fall

Either way, H2H ain't going to help you when it's raining steel.

But then, that's just engineers.

gunnut
31 Mar 06,, 05:47
The best h2h weapon is a well trained, smart, and motivated individual. Smart enough to run away should the odds not being in his favor.

dalem
31 Mar 06,, 10:01
I'm partial to one of my three rapiers, myself.

-dale

Trajan
31 Mar 06,, 12:08
I'd say a gladius or a handy 12-inch bayonet...or a pistol. Indiana Jones, gotta' love him.

Bill
31 Mar 06,, 15:34
Well, if you're a tai chi master i'd say........

http://www.taichihealthways.com/images/32sword_video.jpg

Otherwise, a good spear is hard to beat.

leib10
31 Mar 06,, 22:09
Most swords are extremely effective hand to hand combat weapons. That's why they saw use for thousands of years.

RustyBattleship
31 Mar 06,, 22:53
I found fixing a 10-inch bayonet to my M-1 Garand to be an excellent combination for hunting wild boar. After the clip goes "Ching" when the eight rounds of 180 grain soft points are expended, you grab the Garand by the balance of the stock, aim toward the still charging boar and throw it like a spear.

That makes you 9 pounds lighter so you can run faster and use both hands to climb a tree.

Seriously though, in people to people combat the hand grenade is the best. That is IF you have timed the fuse correctly and remembered to take the electrician's tape off the spoon.

deadkenny
01 Apr 06,, 00:53
Not sure it's possible to choose a single weapon that would be best in all circumstances. For example, a spear gives you a definite 'reach' advantage. However, it was primarily designed for fighting in formation. One-on-one, it still obviously provides a reach advantage, but if you 'miss' and your opponent gets 'inside' your spear, you're in trouble.

agent6
01 Apr 06,, 01:48
Chuck Norris doesn't need weapons, he is the weapon.

Officer of Engineers
01 Apr 06,, 02:25
You do remember that he got his ass kicked by Bruce Lee.

lemontree
01 Apr 06,, 04:38
The best and most famous H2H weapon is the khukri....

agent6
01 Apr 06,, 16:59
You do remember that he got his ass kicked by Bruce Lee.

He didn't really lose, They paid him to fall down. And he was winning when the fight first started.

kNikS
01 Apr 06,, 18:16
True, if not the best than certainly one of the best looking. My friend has one, his father brought him from Nepal. Man, I was once so enthusiastic with checking its cutting characteristics that one of his garden trees ended crippled.

Although I have the impression that holding that rifle properly and having prepared hand grenade would be better.

Swift Sword
02 Apr 06,, 07:05
Hi Guys,

I would like to nominate the shorter staves for best hand to hand weapon.

The short staff provides stand off distance, doubles as a walking stick, can be sharpened and used as a short spear for foraging or fighting, etc.

They can be built to wicked spec or improvised from so many common place objects and materials so cost is never a factor.

bonehead
02 Apr 06,, 17:51
What about a pocket gorrilla? It is like a trunk monkey only bigger.
Seriously, when the S.H.T.F. it is the grey matter between your ears and the training that will make the biggest difference in hand to hand.

KPR
03 Apr 06,, 07:10
I'm surprised that no one has said a Spetznaz style entrenching tool.

Ironside
04 Apr 06,, 04:53
Well, if you're a tai chi master i'd say........

Otherwise, a good spear is hard to beat.

I'd have to agree with you sniper...although I am no where near Tai Chi master I am currently studying it and I do believe that the tai chi sword would be a formidable weapon in close combat......although I would have to disagree with the spear because its easy to enter and get inside of, and then the person wielding the spear would be disposed of quickly.

Bill
04 Apr 06,, 20:13

Too short.

Bill
04 Apr 06,, 20:15
I'd have to agree with you sniper...although I am no where near Tai Chi master I am currently studying it and I do believe that the tai chi sword would be a formidable weapon in close combat......although I would have to disagree with the spear because its easy to enter and get inside of, and then the person wielding the spear would be disposed of quickly.

You have to employ staff techniques with the spear(ie using both ends of the spear- as well as the shaft- as striking/blocking surfaces). It's very effective as long as you have the room.

Tai Chi is an awesome martial art, maybe the greatest of them all. It is most certainly the subtlest!(Just like the sword really. An amazingly subtle weapon). I had the displeasure of getting tossed around like a rag doll by a 'near master' one time at a Martial Arts convention. Guy was about 5'3", 110lbs, and probably mid 60s. He threw me 20 feet straight back while himself barely moving at all.

It was one of those 'wow' experiences.

Ironside
04 Apr 06,, 22:37
You have to employ staff techniques with the spear(ie using both ends of the spear- as well as the shaft- as striking/blocking surfaces). It's very effective as long as you have the room.

Tai Chi is an awesome martial art, maybe the greatest of them all. It is most certainly the subtlest!(Just like the sword really. An amazingly subtle weapon). I had the displeasure of getting tossed around like a rag doll by a 'near master' one time at a Martial Arts convention. Guy was about 5'3", 110lbs, and probably mid 60s. He threw me 20 feet straight back while himself barely moving at all.

It was one of those 'wow' experiences.

I see your point with the spear that it must adopt more staff like qualities to make it an effective hand to hand weapon and respectivly withdraw my previous statement I never thought of using a spear in that way

I can understand those experiences although its not tai chi I was used for various ju-jitsu demonstartions and got the wow experiences as well

fkbello
06 Apr 06,, 20:18
M67 hand grenade. No doubt.

You can even take on several assailants with that.

Judges 16:30 "And Samson said: 'Let me die with the Philistines.' And he bent with all his might; and the house fell upon the lords, and upon all the people that were therein. So the dead that he slew at his death were more than they that he slew in his life."

lemontree
07 Apr 06,, 06:26
I can understand those experiences although its not tai chi I was used for various ju-jitsu demonstartions and got the wow experiences as well
Glad to meet another ju-jitsu enthusiast. :)

Parihaka
07 Apr 06,, 06:51
Knuckle duster

Ray
07 Apr 06,, 08:26
Money.

Buy your opponent out, be it a country or a terrorist!

Ironside
07 Apr 06,, 21:01
Glad to meet another ju-jitsu enthusiast. :)

lol im glads to be a ju-jitsu enthusiast...how long have you been in ju jitsu?

Asim Aquil
07 Apr 06,, 21:39
Fist.

2DREZQ
08 Apr 06,, 01:41
Loiusville Slugger...At 3 feet it can disable like a Taser, or shatter a skull like a .45 round.

It can also stop a fight before it starts, just ask Agent6.

omon
27 Nov 06,, 18:20
can of wd40 and zippo lighter.

Semper Fi
27 Nov 06,, 21:08
The best hand to hand weapon is a kick to the balls.;)

Rifleman
01 Dec 06,, 21:41
A tomahawk in one hand with longknife in the other.

See instructional videos Lethal Tomahawk (aka Last of the Mohicans) and Lethal Tomahawk II (aka The Patriot) for techniques. :biggrin:

They were never tested against a kukri or a gladius but they did pretty well against European officers with swords, especially in the tight quartered, pre-settlement eastern forests. Not quite so well against firearms. :rolleyes:

Falcon325
02 Dec 06,, 01:53
how about a claw hammer or broken bottle?

Archer
02 Dec 06,, 11:27
I always tell my engineers that if they ever get close enough for hand-to-hand, start running.

Or

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

POST OF THE YEAR!

Archer
02 Dec 06,, 11:29
I found fixing a 10-inch bayonet to my M-1 Garand to be an excellent combination for hunting wild boar. After the clip goes "Ching" when the eight rounds of 180 grain soft points are expended, you grab the Garand by the balance of the stock, aim toward the still charging boar and throw it like a spear.

That makes you 9 pounds lighter so you can run faster and use both hands to climb a tree.
Seriously though, in people to people combat the hand grenade is the best. That is IF you have timed the fuse correctly and remembered to take the electrician's tape off the spoon.

A worthy runner up!

Between these two posts, gentlemen- lol, my sides hurt!

Chuck Norris doesn't need weapons, he is the weapon.

LOL, excellent!

And,

Semper fi, a tip of the hat to you too sir! :biggrin:

Tronic
02 Dec 06,, 17:11
Too short.
looks can be deceiving! Pak's Pathans (known to be tough troops of Pak army) had their heads rolling off by these small Gurkha troops during Kargil... and remember, the Argentinians actually refused to fight and surrendered during Falkland War upon hearing arrival of the Gurkhas... :eek:

Tronic
02 Dec 06,, 17:12
ok, IMO, the best hand to hand weapon is anything providing you know how to use it...

neilmpenny
01 Jan 07,, 21:06
True, if not the best than certainly one of the best looking. My friend has one, his father brought him from Nepal. Man, I was once so enthusiastic with checking its cutting characteristics that one of his garden trees ended crippled.

Cut your thumb before putting it back in it's scabbard? Ghurka tradition has it that the khukri must draw blood whenever it is drawn even if for show.

sappersgt
01 Jan 07,, 23:37

Or

Originally Posted by RustyBattleship

(LOL)I don't know how but I missed these two posts. I agree these are classic! Thank you gentlemen for a really good laugh!(SLOL)

Grim
02 Jan 07,, 14:29
I like my K-Bar after that what ever is handy, a good hard rock can change the targets whole outlook.

aktarian
08 May 07,, 11:13
Too short.

Then step a bit closer :tongue:

But seriously longer weapons give you longer reach but are less maneuvrable. short sword allow you to use them with one hand leaving other hand to do other things (hold shield, hold another sword....). sword vs spear? Once you get past spears point it's useless and you can kill spearman easily.

my vote would be sword with both point and edge and short.