• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antarctic air is warming faster than rest of world

Antarctic air is warming faster than rest of world
    By Mark Henderson
    New finding could have implications for sea level rises
    AIR temperatures above the entire frozen continent of Antarctica have risen three times faster than the rest of the world during the past 30 years.

While it is well established that temperatures are increasing rapidly in the Antarctic Peninsula, the land tongue that protrudes towards South America, the trend has been harder to confirm over the continent as a whole.

Now analysis of weather balloon data by scientists at the British Antarctic Survey (BAS) has shown that not only are the lower reaches of the Antarctic atmosphere warming, but that they are doing so at the fastest rate observed anywhere on Earth.

Temperatures in the troposphere — the lowest 8km (5 miles) of the atmosphere — have increased by between 0.5C and 0.7 C (0.9F and 1.3F) per decade over the past 30 years.

This signature of climate change is three times stronger than the average observed around the world, suggesting that global warming is having an uneven impact and that it could be greater for Antarctica.

It is already known that temperatures in the Arctic are rising steeply, but with the exception of the Antarctic peninsula, the data for the southern ice-cap are more mixed.

Although the Antarctic peninsula has warmed by more than 2.5C during the past 50 years, most surface measurements suggest that there have been no pronounced temperature changes elsewhere on the continent, while some have indicated a small cooling effect.

The new research, led by John Turner, of the BAS, shows that the air above the surface of Antarctica is definitely warming, in ways that are not predicted by climate models and that cannot yet be explained. The results are published today in the journal Science.

“The rapid surface warming of the Antarctic Peninsula and the enhanced global warming signal over the whole continent shows the complexity of climate change,” Dr Turner said.

“Greenhouses gases could be having a bigger impact in Antarctica than across the rest of the world and we don’t understand why.

“The warming above the Antarctic could have implications for snowfall across the Antarctic and sea level rise. Current climate model simulations don’t reproduce the observed warming, pointing to weaknesses in their ability to represent the Antarctic climate system. Our next step is to try to improve the models.”

The weather balloons from which the data has been collected have been launched daily from many of Antarctica’s research stations since 1957. These balloons carry instrument packages known as radiosondes, which measure temperature, humidity and winds at altitudes of 20km and beyond.

The radiosonde data showed a pronounced warming effect throughout the troposphere during the winter months, while the stratosphere above cooled appreciably.

There is increasing evidence that greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide are creating a blanket about the Earth that traps heat at lower levels, warming the troposphere and surface, while cooling the stratosphere above.

The study is the third to be published this month to suggest that the effects of global warming on Antarctica are likely to be more pronounced than has often been predicted.

Research has indicated that the melting of the Greenland ice-cap in the Arctic could produce sea level rises that destabilise Antarctic ice-shelves, and Nasa satellite data have shown the internal Antarctic ice-sheets to be thinning.
    FROM HERE
    I look forward to founding a sheep farm on the Antarctic mainland
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

"The new research, led by John Turner, of the BAS, shows that the air above the surface of Antarctica is definitely warming, in ways that are not predicted by climate models and that cannot yet be explained."

Well that just about says it all, dont it?

Comment

That's contrary to the report I just looked at the other day actually.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
        "The new research, led by John Turner, of the BAS, shows that the air above the surface of Antarctica is definitely warming, in ways that are not predicted by climate models and that cannot yet be explained."

Yeah, pretty much saying "we have no Fing clue what the hell we're talking about."

Oh yeah, global warming global warming...global warming is coming to get us.
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Please tell me exactly the number of terrorists out there and what they will do exactly in the next year. If you can´t there is no danger , right?

Or can you tell me exactly the day you die and the cause? No, ah well you will live forever.

Comment

No, it's an economic cover up.

The reason Antarctic air is warming up is due to lack of moisture and the widening of the hole in the Ozone layer above Antartica.

Ozone filters out harmful radiation from the Sun. Excess radiation causes warming of the air.

Ozone is created by an electrical discharge (Lightning) in heavily moisture laden atmosphere (clouds). Some particals of H2O are split and the free O atom combines with an O2 molecule (normal breathable Oxygen) to form the O3 molecule (Ozone). In other electrical discharges, the free H atoms are then combined with free O atoms to become H2O again (Rain).

Clouds are condensed water vapor created by moist flora below that excretes lots of O2 (Oxygen).

Tall moist fauna (trees) are great electrical conductors for electronic discharges (Lightning).

In BOTH South America and South Africa the moist fauna (tall rain forests) has been cut down for roads, farms, cities, playgrounds, pulpwood, firewood and Lincoln Log sets.

Therefore the base for thunderstorms (where lightning can creat Ozone) is being depleted too rapidly for other natural systems to compensate for. This depletion is caused by over population.

The over population is caused by local customs and religion (including a common European religion) that prohibits birth control. Some "men" consider it very "macho" to have lots of children both in AND out of marriage. Unfortunately, because of "custom", their wives and concubines agree with that.

So the cause of the warming of Antartica and the hole in the Ozone layer is not a mystery. The mystery is how to EDUCATE the people down there to quit suffocating the rest of the life this planet just to show what a "stud" they are.
            Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Last time I checked, my asscrack is warmer and more humid than the surrounding enviroment in my neighborhood. And the planet cares not a whit.

Dumba$$ panicking weeping-vagina ignorant motherf*ckers.

Mars is warming up too, dillholes. Did we build factories on MARS?

Lemme give you a small hint - that ever-present thermonuclear furnace hanging in the sky? Yeah, well, it's been GETTING HOTTER recently.

Stupid f*ckass "couldn't tell the diff between weather and climate if it f!ngerb@nged me in the backseat" savages. I'd strangle every last one of you if I had the bloody chance.

I hate you.

-dale

Comment

I blame Historical David's army of cuban cigar smoking, rum swilling, gun toting Penguins.

Comment

Mars' orbit is significantly elliptical. One result of this is a temperature variation of about 30 C at the subsolar point between aphelion and perihelion. This has a major influence on Mars' climate. While the average temperature on Mars is about 218 K (-55 C, -67 F), Martian surface temperatures range widely from as little as 140 K (-133 C, -207 F) at the winter pole to almost 300 K (27 C, 80 F) on the day side during summer
                  Dalem can you please post where you did get your information from and please can you show that the rise in earth temperature (which you are not denying anymore?) is only linked with the rise of the temperature of the sun?

Comment

Originally posted by dalem
                    ..Mars is warming up too, dillholes. Did we build factories on MARS?
                    I was on Mars a couple years ago, and it was hotter than hell. I didn't see any factories either...

.....oh, wait. That was Costa Rica. Never mind.
                    "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

I blame Historical David's army of cuban cigar smoking, rum swilling, gun toting Penguins.
                      They eat US Army infantry snipers for breakfast. ;)
                      HD Ready?

Comment

Originally posted by Sombra
                        Dalem can you please post where you did get your information from and please can you show that the rise in earth temperature (which you are not denying anymore?) is only linked with the rise of the temperature of the sun?
                        Do a search on one of the old GW threads in this forum, the link is in there.

And I've never denied that the planet is getting warmer right now - that's perfectly acceptable based on historical variance. And my point about bringing up the sun is to contrast the panicmongering nonscience that is promoted with respect to all this CO2 crappola, none of which has a shred of real fact to support it.

Compare and contrast that to the FACT that we know that solar output has increased and decreased relatively concurrent to the general trends of global temperature over the last millenium or so, the FACT that we know the sun was going through one of its hottest and most active phases over the last 15 years. Buttress that with the PROBABLE fact that another planet in our solar system is also going through a period of retreating polar ice caps.

So in one hand you have fear, emotion, politics, and misanthropic crap. In the other you have a facts and evidence.

YOU weigh them.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by HistoricalDavid
                          They eat US Army infantry snipers for breakfast. ;)
                          No way man, i have a rocket pack and penguins can't fly. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Sombra
                            He never denied it before that i ever saw, he, like i, merely stated it was probably normal.

Comment

Working...
                            X