Company Perks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company Perks

I was looking over the Fortune's Most Admired Companies list, the Working Mothers Best Company To Work For list, the top entry level employers, and lastly companies with the best perks (which included Employees here have 16 paid holidays a year, nearly double the norm and Employees get 10% off the purchase of a new DW home).

What kind of "perks" does the place you work for have that you think are really nice or what would you like to see them have that they do not currently?

The company I work for offers on-site daycare for some locations, but not for the offices in IL - that I would like. Other than that, I cannot think of anything I would like that we do not already have. I work for a pretty good company that does a lot of really nice things for their employees, so I have very few complaints.
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal
    What kind of "perks" does the place you work for have that you think are really nice or what would you like to see them have that they do not currently?
    I get to throw temper tantrums.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
      I get to throw temper tantrums.
      Perqs? Me? Ha!

Was pretty nice when I worked for Time Warner Cable back in the day.
      Free everything - you name it, I got it - and half-price PPV.
      Not to mention getting to test-drive all the new stuff before anybody else.

Lots of other things you could take advantage of, like heavily discounted travel and vacation packages, discounted Philips consumer electronics, free AOL internet (powered by that free Road Runner cable modem), and lots of other stuff I never bothered with.

Too bad the base pay was mediocre. Can't exactly put food on the table and pay rent with free broadband
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

The only perq at my job is that I am free to quit anytime I wish.

-dale

Comment

THL,

In the US, women get more perks than men,right?

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by dalem
            The only perq at my job is that I am free to quit anytime I wish.

-dale

That's real good man management.

But I am sure you had to finish your assignment before you quit, or is that not so?

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
              THL,

In the US, women get more perks than men,right?
              I don't really know how to answer that. If you mean as in when they go on maternity leave and get time off for that, then I guess so. But all in all it is mostly company wide so pretty equal. The company I work for lets men have time off when their wives have a baby. They also have pretty good insurance benefits. For example, if an unmarried couple (even a same sex couple) lives together as a couple, the employee can have that person on their health insurance, even though they are not married. We get discounts on cars (GM and Ford, maybe Nissan but I am not positive about that one) and computers and some other things. We have TVs on all day long so that if there is some "event" that is going to impact the oil industry or any type of fuel delivery we know about right away. There is a dry cleaning service on site, a video/dvd rental service on site, short order cooks, industry related (and a few non-industry related) books are available for download through amazon and our company website for free, we have some really nice company parties and all...but again, this is all for all employees not just the girls! :) There are a bunch of other things that I cannot think of off the top of my head that I love about the company I work for.

This industry gets a bad rap for a lot of things and I do grow tired of hearing people with their negatives, but having seen how this company handles things from an inside view, it all sits better with me than if I were on the outside looking in. Plus, for being such a large company, every employee is treated like a family member and everyone is put on the same "level". There are no executive offices in the building I work in - no means to say that one person has a higher "rank" or is better than another employee...which is nice. Another perk, I suppose. :)
              Last edited by THL; 28 Mar 06,, 21:46.
              "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                That's real good man management.

But I am sure you had to finish your assignment before you quit, or is that not so?
                Nope. They can fire me anytime and I can quit anytime. In fact, the last job I quit I offered the standard 2 weeks notice and they asked me to clear out my stuff and leave that day and they'd just pay me for the next 2 weeks. Lots of places are so concerned with security that they feel it's safer to get people off of their computer networks as quick as possible than to have them stew for a week or so. Hard to argue that in general, although it does create difficulties with a lack of smooth transitions.

-dale

Heck, THL, is your place hiring in the Twin Cities? I remember enough Geology to look for oil under salt domes. ;)

Comment

Ok its a long list, but only with this they can retain employees in the bay area,

Onsite dental, hair cut, Car wash, oil change, bike repair, flowers, shipping, notary, gym, beach volleyball and basketball courts.

Discounts from Apple, Dell, Panasonic, Philips, HP, Staples and others

Discounts from Subaru, Audi, GM, Ford and BMW dealers

Discounts from Cingular, Sprint, Verizon and Nextel

Discounted movie, theater and event tickets and theme parks in California

Seperate passport websites which has tonns of deals in dining, entertainment, electronics, Automobile and travel.

Fitness club discounts (2 worldclass gyms)

Discoun at doggie day care

I couldve copy pasted the perks page, but its rather more extensive....
                  A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

This industry gets a bad rap for a lot of things
                    That is because you are one of the principle capitalist exploiters of the West. ;)
                    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Photo-terrorism

One perk for being an up & coming Photographer is being my own boss, and having a nice amount of control over work hours.

The latest downside is taking a chance on who you decide to work for/with.

The last place took two weeks worth of bickering just to get a refference as something to show for some pics taken for them, after agreeing to work for free since it was with/for a non-profit org.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay
                        Ok its a long list, but only with this they can retain employees in the bay area,

Onsite dental, hair cut, Car wash, oil change, bike repair, flowers, shipping, notary, gym, beach volleyball and basketball courts.

Discounts from Apple, Dell, Panasonic, Philips, HP, Staples and others

Discounts from Subaru, Audi, GM, Ford and BMW dealers

Discounts from Cingular, Sprint, Verizon and Nextel

Discounted movie, theater and event tickets and theme parks in California

Seperate passport websites which has tonns of deals in dining, entertainment, electronics, Automobile and travel.

Fitness club discounts (2 worldclass gyms)

Discoun at doggie day care

I couldve copy pasted the perks page, but its rather more extensive....
                        I see Doggie Daycare, but I do not see Child Care - Ha Ha Ha...too funny!!

Bike repair? Really? Is there a large demand for bike repair during business hours?
                        Last edited by THL; 29 Mar 06,, 01:05.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
                          That is because you are one of the principle capitalist exploiters of the West. ;)
                          Whatever...This exploiter helped make it possible for your happy ass to drive to work this morning.

Comment

About the only perk I got (and will get) from working for my uncle's landscaping business was that I got plenty of vacation time.
                            "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

I see Doggie Daycare, but I do not see Child Care - Ha Ha Ha...too funny!!
                              Doggie day care is just outside the office, and they give employee discounts for it.

Bike repair? Really? Is there a large demand for bike repair during business hours?
                              Well, since we have hair cut, dentist, car wash and oil change in office hours prolly they decide to include bikes as well. And quite a number of people ride bikes to office here in Cali.
                              A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Working...
                              X