X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USMC M-32 40mm repeating GL

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/...ield/index.php

USMC 40mm repeating grenade launcher

While high-tech weapons items get a lot of billing, the Global War on Terror is very much an infantry war. Firepower overmatch matters in those situations. Enter the US Marine Corps' newest weapon, recently introduced to Regimental Combat Team 5, based in Camp Fallujah: the M-32 six-shot 40mm grenade launcher. During an annual symposium, Marine gunners decided an improvement was needed over the old M203 one-shot launchers that mount under their M4 or M16 rifles. The M-32 won out, and each Marine battalion will field them as an experimental weapon.

A September 2005 DID article covered the popularity of 40mm grenade systems on the modern battlefield. The M-32 is a modified Milkor MGL-140 with additional features like the buttstock, sights, foregrip, et. al. It can put all 6 rounds on target in under 3 seconds, and can fire "normal" M433 40mm grenades or specialty rounds. Specialty rounds include HELLHOUND rounds with twice the lethal radius of the M433, which will breach doors and kill anything behind them; DRACO thermobaric rounds; and even HUNTIR rounds with cameras in them that descend on a parachute and send back video. The USMC will join the Brazilian, Italian and South African militaries as MGL-140 customers, and Defense Review notes that the USMC has ordered 9,000 of them.

Nifty. Be nice for us to buy them and chuck one in each Rifle section. Probably wont happen though.

Comment

Sure does seem like a really nice weapon, big upgrade over the 203 IMO.

Comment

Except you can't stick it underneath a rifle. I say dont replace the '203 with it, just have the '203s augment it.

Comment

Agreed. If the man operating the weapon or the weapon itself is put out of action and the other riflemen don't have M203's they will lose their grenade launching capability.
          "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as72-e.htm

Here's Australia's answer to the problem of Rifle-mounted Grenade launchers only having one shot.

Huge, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by -{SpoonmaN}-
              Except you can't stick it underneath a rifle. I say dont replace the '203 with it, just have the '203s augment it.
              The M16/203 setup is really pretty ungainly to handle.

Id actually rather have this gizmo and a slung but separate M4.

Comment

Being able to put six rounds on the target is a BIG plus. How difficult is it to reload and or change ammo types?
                Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

No idea, ive never handled one.

Sure seems like a damned good idea though. It appears to be a huge revolving mechanism, so it probably shares a lot in common with most wheelguns wrt rate of fire, etc. I wonder if it's a break-open or has a Colt SAA style loading gate.

Comment

Think how fast that thing will burn through ammo. They're going to have to issue the grenadier a rickshaw just to carry a decent load of ammo.

I really like it, but I'd hate to give up an M203 for one.

Comment

That thing is really better than the 203 in all ways. Note that the Marine in the pic still has a slung rifle, so you're not really giving up anything, but you're gaining 5 ready rounds of 40mm.

Comment

From Malaysia and South Africa...
                        Attached Files
                        To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Okay, it looks like the cylinder swings out to the side for reloading, Snipe.
                          "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

I remember reading an article in the late 80s on the South African piece. I thought it was a good idea at the time and don't understand why it's not more popular. As far as I know, the thing is semi auto. Very handy if you need to saturate a target in a hurry.

I think it was featured in Predator. One guy in Arnie's outfit had one and carried an MP5, I believe.
                            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut
                              I remember reading an article in the late 80s on the South African piece. I thought it was a good idea at the time and don't understand why it's not more popular. As far as I know, the thing is semi auto. Very handy if you need to saturate a target in a hurry.

I think it was featured in Predator. One guy in Arnie's outfit had one and carried an MP5, I believe.
                              They're a staple in Schwarzenegger films.

Comment

Working...
                              X