Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Follow up to "Taliban at Yale thread"

Quoted commentary by HaoHoa of the HPCA board:

"Interesting campaign going on: folks are sending red fingernails to Yale's fund raising office to protest the Talibani's presence at Yale as a reminder that the Talibs routinely yanked fingernails off women caught wearing nail polish. Sometimes the women's fingers were amputated."

www.humaneventsonline.com...p?id=13163

Yale's Taliban Man
    By: Christopher Flickinger
    Posted 03/13/06
    09:47 AM

Yale University isn't speaking -- much -- about its Taliban man.

In early March, Human Events U reported on Sayed Rahmatullah Hashemi -- the former Taliban spokesman -- who's now an enrolled student at Yale. Since then, a number of critics have expressed outrage over the school's decision to admit Hashemi, but Yale refuses to publicly address the issue.

"Yale won't let anyone comment officially, citing student privacy issues and hoping they can keep silent and last out the storm," writes John Fund of OpinionJournal.com. "But unofficially, some Yale administrators are privately trashing critics. One even anonymously sent scathing emails to two critics calling them 'retarded' and 'disgusting.'"

Fund says Alexis Surovov, assistant director of giving at Yale Law School sent a scathing e-mail, from a Columbia University account, to two young Yale grads who are protesting Hashemi's admittance. Clinton Taylor and Debbie Bookstaber's protest is called "Nail Yale" and it "focuses on the Taliban's barbaric treatment of women, which extended to yanking out the fingernails of those who wore nail polish." Fund cites a column recently written by the two urging alumni "not give one red cent this year, but instead send Yale a red press-on fingernail."

According to Fund's piece, Surovov sent an e-mail to Taylor and Bookstaber's private accounts and said: "What is wrong with you? Are you retarded? This is the most disgraceful alumni article that I have ever read in my life. You failed to mention that you've never contributed to the Yale Alumni Fund in your life. But to suggest that others follow your negative example is disgusting."

"On Thursday Mr. Taylor phoned Mr. Suvarov, who told him he was angry because the furor over the Taliban official was hurting fund raising and could lower Yale's rankings in the next "U.S. News & World Report" college survey. He also accused Mr. Taylor and Ms. Bookstaber of 'terrorist tactics,' which when challenged he amended to 'terror tactics,' writes Fund.

When the OpinionJournal.com writer called the Yale administrator to talk, Surovov “"eluctantly" conceded to Fund that he had made "a poor choice" of one word -- "retarded."

"He also largely defended Yale's refusal to answer questions on the ex-Taliban official by saying, 'We can't respond to every political case. We need to show the university isn't here to make political decisions.' When I asked him if admitting a key propagandist for the Taliban was a political decision, he claimed he was 'only vaguely aware of Taliban practices.' (He clearly shares that information deficit with some other Yale officials.) When I suggested that one reason Mr. Taylor might not have given to Yale was that he was a struggling graduate student, and similarly noted that Ms. Bookstaber is only 27, he said that was no excuse. 'Everyone can give something,' he said, in the smooth patter of a born fund-raiser. 'Even $5 is a handsome gift they could have given,'" according to OpinionJournal.com.

Fund notes, although the administrator used Yale equipment to send an out his callous e-mail, Surovov made it clear that he "acted solely in his personal capacity."

-----------------------------------------

"So let's review. Yale enrolls a Taliban man. The school then refuses to defend or justify its actions. It remains hostile to any ROTC activity on campus. And now, an assistant director of giving throws a temper-tantrum because the school might actually have to suffer the consequences of its decision. Ivy League school or not, is this really where you want your child to go to college?"
    Last edited by Bill; 20 Mar 06,, 21:51.

Originally posted by M21Sniper
    Quoted commentary by HaoHoa of the HPCA board:

"Interesting campaign going on: folks are sending red fingernails to Yale's fund raising office to protest the Talibani's presence at Yale as a reminder that the Talibs routinely yanked fingernails off women caught wearing nail polish. Sometimes the women's fingers were amputated."

"So let's review. Yale enrolls a Taliban man. The school then refuses to defend or justify its actions. It remains hostile to any ROTC activity on campus. And now, an assistant director of giving throws a temper-tantrum because the school might actually have to suffer the consequences of its decision. Ivy League school or not, is this really where you want your child to go to college?"
    look, as disgusting as taliban politics are, the right to higher education is a basic human right in any free society. of course, the talibanis didn't believe in education for afghan girls. why should we in the united states(a free society) stoop down to the level of the taliban and deny what they denied their own people?

Comment

Because the Taliban are enemies of the United States of America, and we are currently in a state of WAR with them?

How bout that for a reason skippy?

Comment

It's backward, but I believe they do this to stroke their own egos.

Admitting this guy just adds to their sense of righteous moral superiority that they can whip out at cocktail parties. "See, we took this guy in -- as abhorrent and disgusting his views are perceived by everyone else -- but this just shows how unafraid we are of divergent viewpoints. We're not scared off by people whose views we don't agree with. We are carrying on the tradition of the University being a marketplace of ideas. How many of you can say that you've accepted the Taliban with open arms?"
        Last edited by swann; 24 Mar 06,, 07:05.
        'The unexamined life is not worth living for man'. - Socrates, Quoted in: Plato's Apology, sct. 42a. Last words of his speech to the court following the sentence of death imposed on him by the Athenians.

Comment

Originally posted by swann
          It's backward, but I believe they do this to stroke their own egos.

Admitting this guy just adds to their sense of righteous moral superiority that they can whip out at cocktail parties. "See, we took this guy in -- as abhorrent and disgusting his views are perceived my everyone else -- but this just shows how unafraid we are of divergent viewpoints. We're not scared off by people whose views we don't agree with. We are carrying on the tradition of the University being a marketplace of ideas. How many of you can say that you've accepted the Taliban with open arms?"
          I dont typically accept serial murderers into my home with open arms either...but hey, that's me.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
            I dont typically accept serial murderers into my home with open arms either...but hey, that's me.
            snipe, it would be safe to say that is a universal sentiment.
            'The unexamined life is not worth living for man'. - Socrates, Quoted in: Plato's Apology, sct. 42a. Last words of his speech to the court following the sentence of death imposed on him by the Athenians.

Comment

I dig your avatar man.

Comment

thanks snipe, would it be too far-fetched of me to assume you are/were a sniper of the armed forces?

if so, thanks for your honour to the flag n country.

also, you've certainly clocked in a lot of time on this place. it seems i have a long way to go! i look forward to the journey.

Comment

I used to be a US Army sniper many a moon ago.

I've been here at WAB since the beginning.

Comment

Well I think people are absolutely correct, the University can't do anything about this guy. The U.S like all western education systems is build on equal rights for all students of all ethnic and religious backgrounds to attend classes.

However... it occurs to me that if he is indeed a Taliban member there probably is some type of legal action that could be taken either in the U.S or in Afganistian. I'm sure there are options here but I think its the responsibility of the government and legal system to deal with it not the education system.

This does raise a question though, how in the hell did this guy legally get into the United States if hes a known member of the Taliban? Shouldn't that have raised some red flags?

Comment

Horsepuckey.

I want his talibani asss tossed out of the country.

Comment

Originally posted by mich
                        look, as disgusting as taliban politics are, the right to higher education is a basic human right in any free society. of course, the talibanis didn't believe in education for afghan girls. why should we in the united states(a free society) stoop down to the level of the taliban and deny what they denied their own people?
                        So had Goebbels survived WWII we should have let him go to Harvard? That's pretty much what you're advocating for this guy. The US of 1940 would have hung this scum on the university lawn.

Comment

huh?

Higher education is a basic human right?

How would we be "stooping the the Taliban level" by denying him an education in the US? He's not even a citizen.

When did it become a basic human right to get a higher education in the US?

Comment

A basic human right, huh?

Where do I go for MY free higher education? Why am I not allowed into the school of my choice, no matter what my grades are, no matter my ability to pay for it, no matter whether I'm a mysogonistic bastard that supports the worst sort of sexual discrimination and religious bigotry seen since Medieval times?

Stop tossing the words 'human rights' around so carelessly when you're defending this piece of filth's slot in a class that he so obviously loathes, and shares absolutely NO common philosophy with. You simply have no proper understanding of the term.

The SOB should go straight to Gitmo.

Comment

look, as disgusting as taliban politics are, the right to higher education is a basic human right in any free society. of course, the talibanis didn't believe in education for afghan girls.
                              The state provision of welfare and the maintenance of a 'free society' are fundamentally incompatible at best.

why should we in the united states(a free society) stoop down to the level of the taliban and deny what they denied their own people?
                              ...The Taliban denied education on the basis of sex, an 'crime' for which no man or woman should have to apologise. Racial and sexual discrimination in academia is ethically untenable.

The US should deny (taxpayer-subsidised, most likely) education on the basis of not only national security - the less Talibani scum in America, the better - and his criminality - he (willingly?) aided and abetted a thoroughly criminal and savage regime.

In addition, has he passed the Yale academic entrance criteria? I doubt it.

Read your morally equivocating tripe back to yourself, and then come and complain.
                              Last edited by HistoricalDavid; 25 Mar 06,, 22:43.
                              HD Ready?

Comment

Working...
                              X