X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats your nickname?

Is it included in your handle?
    Mine is "Duck" .

I would love to know the Col's (Afan ducks!)
    "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

As of right now, it's Yoda (much preferred that than to Big Steel Tank).

Comment

Yes, I'd forgotten about that. The Steel Tank.
      Tell me sir, did you have any nicknames at RMC? Apparently its a great tradition at PMA.

May the force be with you.
      "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

The Kamakazie. I played left wing in ice hockey. Was lousy at puck handling which means that I usually give the puck to the other guy on the other team and then proceed to body check him into the boards. Usually end up being more bruised than him since I deliver far more than the other guy receives.

Comment

Sparten,

Forgive my curiosity by what is the background for having a nickname "Duck"? Is it to do with the domestic bird or is it to keep your head down?

Colonel,

What is the background for this nickname "Yoda"? What does it mean?

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray

Colonel,

What is the background for this nickname "Yoda"? What does it mean?

IIRC Rusky once said 'drop the yoda act'... but I didn't know that nickname survived.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
              Sparten,
              Forgive my curiosity by what is the background for having a nickname "Duck"? Is it to do with the domestic bird or is it to keep your head down?
              Sir,
              My name as you know is Afan. A few friends started calling me "Affy". Then they realized it sounded like Daffy Duck , so it became Affy Duck and then simply Duck.

I also think it has something to so with my batting skills.

BTW whats your nickname sir?

Comment

M21 gave it to me after two exchanges

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/sho...&page=26&pp=20

Post #516 and #517

Sir,

Yoda is a mythical Jedi Master from the Star Wars movie trilogy.

Comment

Sparten and Colonel,

Thanks.

Or should I say Daffy and Yoda?

My nickname in the Army was "Tiger", which in Radio Telephony is "The Boss".

However, I hated it. Most dogs are also named "Tiger".
                  Last edited by Ray; 19 Mar 06,, 16:33.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                    However, I hated it. Most dogs are also named "Tiger".
                    Dogs are loyal and compasionate. They express love and will lay their lives on the line to protect their loved ones. I can think of alot worse things to be associated with.

My nic is "Rob", it's the first three letters of my first name. I'll generally answer to "*** hole" as well. ;)
                    No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
                    I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                    even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                    He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Confed,

I have four of them!

Of course they are really man's best friend, but it is normally said with a deregatory nuance when used for a man!

Blasted Dog etc.

Rob (I was about to use the dictionary, but then realised you have an online one! ;) ). The name is also of a famous character "Rob Roy" - the classic by Walter Scott.

You are Rob and I am Ray.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                        I am Ray.
                        And that is what I'll call you, as I fear my southern American tongue won't allow me to pronounce your name properly. ;)
                        No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
                        I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                        even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                        He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

In my 69 years of life I have had several nicknames. Dick is my "normal" nickname for Richard which is my real name. Many other nicknames I hated such as in elementary school I was called "Dick the "Pr--k".

However, some were meant to be humorous but actually I was flattered. Because I was so good at coming up with unusual AND workable designs of various ship structures I was often called "Tricky Dick". No relationship of course to the political tricktician.

When I was working in the shops in the first 10 years of my Civil Service, one of my fellow shipfitters, Charlie Steiner, NEVER called anybody by his right name. He was always making something up. My last name is Landgraff (which is German with Russian spelling meaning Land Baron). Steiner would call me "Land Grabber" which is a very loose translation of Land Baron. As time went on some of our other co-workers actually thought that was my real name.

After transferring into the design section, one of my best friends called me "Storm Trooper" because I would attack a design problem like a Mk VI tank and my drafting style was so fast he likened it to the German Blitzkrieg. Well, the fact I had a bit part in a movie once playing a sadistic German soldier helped too.

When I was assigned as one of the project leaders for reactivating the Battleships in the 1980's, I was given two nicknames. One, of course, was "Mr. Battleship". That was also my CB handle - Mr. Battleship, KAYN 9824. But there were many other dedicated people at the Long Beach Naval Shipyard who deserved to share that nickname.

The other nickname was more appropriate than the originator (Terry Ulmer) thought it was. Besided being a structual steel worker in my first 10 years at the shipyard, my grandfather (Vern "Ducky" Swancutt) worked for the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Rail Road. He arranged to have my present for my 7th birthday which was to drive a steam locomotive. Later, after moving to California, I joined a National Guard unit and became an armored crewman driving M-75 APC's, M-59 APC's and M-41 Walker Bulldog tanks. When we finished up the New Jersey for her 1968 Viet Nam deployment I was one of the project leaders designing the last antenna foundations to be installed.

When they came back out in the 80's I lived up to the Nickname Terry gave me because I was so, so, well, "obsessed" with getting those babies back out that I appreciated him calling me "Heavy Metal".

PS: Grumpy Old Man may be more fitting now.
                          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Thanks for the intersting stuff on your nickname.

Das was sehr interesant!

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Fat Joe!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X