PDA

View Full Version : All these changes.

Bill
15 Mar 06,, 19:40
I have no idea whose idea it was to subdivide the forum into about 5 gillion categories, but it really sucks.

Really.

Bad.

I appreciate that iron man has put a lot of work into doing the physical changes, but...it still sucks.

Really.

Bad.

Again, i do not wish to offend, but WABators.........WTF are you guys thinking?

THL
15 Mar 06,, 19:50
My 1st thought when I opened WAB was "What the hell happened here?" Then I double checked to make sure I was at the right website. I know that this version is probably to "simplify" things, but the WAB was easier to navigate a few days ago.

One more thing: Personally I do not do so well with navigation (I actually got lost in a mall parking lot once-but it was a large mall) so I am just hoping I do not click on the wrong forum and lose my way. If anyone should notice I am logged on but not posting for a few days in a row - please send out a search party to help me back... ;)

Ironduke
15 Mar 06,, 19:59
I have no idea whose idea it was to subdivide the forum into about 5 gillion categories, but it really sucks.

Really.

Bad.

I appreciate that iron man has put a lot of work into doing the physical changes, but...it still sucks.

Really.

Bad.

Again, i do not wish to offend, but WABators.........WTF are you guys thinking?
Sniper,

The decision to expand the segment the World Affairs Board was for the purpose of expanding the amount of subject matter allowed for discussion without burying content in subforums and adding superfluous length. It will just take some getting used to. Change is necessary sometimes.

Matt

Bill
15 Mar 06,, 20:18
Change for change's sake is never neccesary.

All this has done is add layers of unnecesary navigation. LOTS of layers.

WAB was ALREADY one of the most subdivided forums around. Now it's totally micromanaged craziness.

I liked it before because from the title page i could see who posted on what thread last, in each forum, all at once.

That ability is now gone. It takes a click into each and every subforum to find that out.

Too much hassle.

Sorry dude, IMO you have ruined the format of this board.
(note the use of an extremely strong word, because im serious- ruined).

However, it is yours, and you are perfectly entiteld to ruin it as you see fit.

Ciao.

Shek
15 Mar 06,, 21:14
I think that adding more subforums is a positive change; however, I'd agree that I'd like to see the navigation try to remain as horizontal in structure as possible.

Instead of having the Military Board have it's own separate navigation portal, putting it back at the bottom with the major forums remaining on the main page and the newly created subforums requiring navigating into the board would be better.

I'd rather have to scroll down a bit instead of navigating through multiple boards - this way you get to see more current posts as Snipe alluded to.

Bill
15 Mar 06,, 21:23
You really need to teach me some of that de-ploh-mah-cey stuff Sir.

Julie
15 Mar 06,, 21:32
You really need to teach me some of that de-ploh-mah-cey stuff Sir.Aint it? LOL ! :rolleyes:

Ironduke
15 Mar 06,, 22:07
Change for change's sake is never neccesary.

All this has done is add layers of unnecesary navigation. LOTS of layers.

WAB was ALREADY one of the most subdivided forums around. Now it's totally micromanaged craziness.

I liked it before because from the title page i could see who posted on what thread last, in each forum, all at once.

That ability is now gone. It takes a click into each and every subforum to find that out.

Too much hassle.

Sorry dude, IMO you have ruined the format of this board.
(note the use of an extremely strong word, because im serious- ruined).

However, it is yours, and you are perfectly entiteld to ruin it as you see fit.

Ciao.
Sniper,

Three communities under one banner. There's a multitude of reasons this move was taken. To you, it seems very sudden. It was months in the making. It's still a work in progress. As far as content goes, all the forums are more or less complete. Ease of navigation is still being worked on.

This isn't the final product. It's a rough sketch.

Matt

Franco Lolan
16 Mar 06,, 03:50
Where did the sections on miltary forces go?

Franco Lolan
16 Mar 06,, 03:52
found it. weird. i prefer it together

Ray
16 Mar 06,, 06:19
The more difficult it is to navigate, the lesser are the chances of too many "strong" posts or frivolous posts (not that they are not fun) being made! :tongue:

Easier for the Admins and the Moderators or maybe they too will have a hard time monitoring!

The positive spin off is that serious poster can go to the forum of their choice and spend more time there to learn and interact and not wade through the clutter and tangential posts which hijack the threads!

Take the Colonel's corner as an example.

So far, some of the serious threads are taking shape in the right direction where issues that are interesting and educative are being raised and there is a good knowledgeable interaction.

I will concede that the new format does not have the same warmth as the old one had, where one felt that WAB was one huge family.

I presume when we get used to this format, we will be wondering what we were griping about! :tongue:

Ironduke
16 Mar 06,, 09:38
It's going to take some getting used to, I'll admit that.

That being said, we're going to be working on ways to keep them more integrated (ease of navigation).

Samudra
16 Mar 06,, 09:53
I really miss our old WAB! :(

667medic
16 Mar 06,, 11:16
MODS can you please display the subfolders of the SouthAsian forum on the main page. It is very difficult to navigate. :frown: :frown:

Was the decision to have a separate SouthAsian forum taken due to the constant bickering in that section

Ray
16 Mar 06,, 11:41
MODS can you please display the subfolders of the SouthAsian forum on the main page. It is very difficult to navigate. :frown: :frown:

Was the decision to have a separate SouthAsian forum taken due to the constant bickering in that section

;)

Bill
16 Mar 06,, 13:53
Sniper,

Three communities under one banner. There's a multitude of reasons this move was taken. To you, it seems very sudden. It was months in the making. It's still a work in progress. As far as content goes, all the forums are more or less complete. Ease of navigation is still being worked on.

This isn't the final product. It's a rough sketch.

Matt

Well now was the time for me to bring it up instead of waiting until it was done, saying something then, and starting an avalance of criticism AFTER it was finished....right? ;)

Bill
16 Mar 06,, 15:29
Why is there no Iran/A-stan board on the military forum?

These are current campaigns, and belong there.

You need an "Ongoing/Future military campaigns" forum in the military section.

It makes NO SENSE to go to the political board to analyze stuff from a military perspective.

History of warfare forum also belongs in the military section as well.S

So does Colonel Yoda's section.

Shek
16 Mar 06,, 15:33
Why is there no Iran/A-stan board on the military forum?

These are current campaigns, and belong there.

You need an "Ongoing/Future military campaigns" forum in the military section.

It makes NO SENSE to go to the political board to analyze stuff from a military perspective.

History of warfare forum also belongs in the military section as well.S

So does Colonel Yoda's section.

War is politics through other means ;)

Shek von Clausewitz

Bill
16 Mar 06,, 16:05
Or as i put it on the political forum at my board:

"Politics: war through other means
"We the people" come, discuss 'the other warfare' here."

History of warfare and current/future milcampaigns still belongs in the military section though. Having it anywhere else is stupid. ;)

Shek
16 Mar 06,, 16:07
Or as i put it on the political forum at my board:

"Politics: war through other means
"We the people" come, discuss 'the other warfare' here."

History of warfare and current/future milcampaigns still belongs in the military section though. Having it anywhere else is stupid. ;)

I saw an opportunity to be a smart ****, and so I took it.

Bill
16 Mar 06,, 16:41
Can never hold that against a fella Sir.

I'll make a JNCO out of you yet. ;)

Hehehehehe.

Lahori paa jee
16 Mar 06,, 19:43
I like these changes

hammer
16 Mar 06,, 21:29
I really miss our old WAB! :(

Yep, me too.

Bill
16 Mar 06,, 21:40
Look, this subdivision is friggin' nuts.

We need to lose some of it, as some of it looks to have been done just for the sake of being done. Example:

" General Land Forces Discussion
General Discussion about ground forces, warfare, strategy, military vehicles, and tech.

Artillery & Engineering

Infantry
Discussion about all types of modern infantry and their equipment.

Cavalry
Discussion about all types of tanks and other armored vehicles.

Other Vehicles
Discussion about military vehicles (jeeps, trucks, APCs, etc.)"

All these categories are completely superfluous. We don't need them I-man, they serve no purpose. Please.....listen to reason. This format is not a SHADOW of what we had here wrt ease of navigation and relevance.

Lunatock
16 Mar 06,, 22:10
It's going to take some getting used to, I'll admit that.

That being said, we're going to be working on ways to keep them more integrated (ease of navigation).

That idea gets my vote. That or just going back to a less sub-divided message board.

And to ask a stupid question...but is this actually an H-Bomb set to go off on the first of next month, which has just begun it's freefall? :biggrin:

Parihaka
16 Mar 06,, 22:14
Better integration does seem like a good idea.
Most of the time I use 'WAB light' and the toolbar across the top, especially 'New Posts' is way useful for navigation, could that be incorporated on the 'WAB Narrow' & 'WAB Expanded' skins?

Ironduke
16 Mar 06,, 22:21
Sniper,

The forum is still in a state of transition. What you see now is not the final product. Navigability, drop down menus, and forum skins are being worked on. Everything is in a state of flux at the moment.

Again, this is not the final product. I don't want to hear another word about it.

Lunatock
16 Mar 06,, 23:16
Well the least everyone could do would be give you the benefit of the doubt. From where I was sitting, I was just asking questions & possibly adding some input to the new layout in progress. Not starting a coup.

Martin
18 Mar 06,, 01:03
I am currently restoring the forum to its original state. I believe Chris is going to make an annoucement regarding 'changes' which have now been fixed.

We will be changing the forum but of course you will be given notice and details and asked to give your opinions :-).