Light Cavalry in Modern Context

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light Cavalry in Modern Context

I've been thinking for quite some time the role of light cavalry in modern battlefeild. I mean the light tanks with crew of two made of composite material equipped mainly with a heavy machine gun, mortar, and ATGM, no big main gun. I have been thinking it can be exellent in the role of supporting MBT's and filling the role of between MBT's and APC's or dismounted infantry.
    The one reason is that it will be Light, so for silent recon mission before the tanks or mainly supporing or say augmenting the utility of MBT perticulerly in being able to carry ammo for MBT's and having short range indirect fire capability. When used in this role it would be cheap too for the mass production since the number of euipment one can get the cost of an MBT will be more than 4 but I don't know much....is there someone who can help? I think it might also reduce the burden on logistics compared to utility one can get out. Of course! having an MBT for a light tank would only be better but I'm talking in terms of maximizing overall utility for a fixed amount of resources.
    Or is the idea has been considered an discarded in modern context?

What's the difference now with Armoured HUMVEEs assigned to the Air Assualt divisions?

Comment

I'm not sure sir!
      I was thinking of this doing the role of tank support vehicle as well while running with the tanks and thought of it being tracked. And used more in exploitation and pursuit phase rather than assault phase, massed in numbers like in independent cavalry operation. Are HUMVEE's able to cruise all the terrain a tank can?

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
        What's the difference now with Armoured HUMVEEs assigned to the Air Assualt divisions?
        The difference is they have HUMVEEs and not two man light tanks!

Sorry sir, i couldn't resist... ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
          How durable are those vehicles? I'm aware that unarmoured HUMVEEs have had a hard time in Iraq, how much safer are troops in armoured models?

Comment

Sir,
            Just one more thing on HUMMVEEs, I was talking in the context of third world army like that of India that still follows Strike Corps Doctrine.

Comment

The USMC LAR battalions can also be considered a form of light cav. (As can, to a lesser extent, the RSTA squadron in Stryker brigades)

They seemed to do pretty well in OIF.
              Last edited by B.Smitty; 15 Mar 06,, 17:07.

Comment

Working...
              X