Irritating media clichés

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irritating media clichés

Ever notice how the newsmedia uses the same overly dramatic words over and over again to describe things that are usually somewhat pedestrian? Some of my favorite pet peeves:

John Doe SLAMMED reports that he was tall.

John Doe BLASTED his neighbor for saying short people overreact.

John Doe VOWED that the reports would be investigated.

John Doe DOWNPLAYED news of his height.

Anybody else out there have a few?
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Originally posted by TopHatter
    Ever notice how the newsmedia uses the same overly dramatic words over and over again to describe things that are usually somewhat pedestrian? Some of my favorite pet peeves:

John Doe SLAMMED reports that he was tall.

John Doe BLASTED his neighbor for saying short people overreact.

John Doe VOWED that the reports would be investigated.

John Doe DOWNPLAYED news of his height.

Anybody else out there have a few?
    I just want to know who this "John Doe" character is and what is his problem with those of us that have a slight vertical challenge?
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal
      I just want to know who this "John Doe" character is and what is his problem with those of us that have a slight vertical challenge?
      So would I....and why the media has to dramatize something so mundane ;)
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

John Doe FLED from all the short people
        "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

We don't know what it was. But we know for sure it wasn't terrorism

Comment

In a potentially EXPLOSIVE revalation today, the White HOuse revealed.... anew chapter in the _____GATE story.
            sigpicUSS North Dakota

Comment

In a DRAMATIC turn of events, we have no real news to report. At six, how I OVERCAME INCREDIBLE ODDS to keep my job.

Comment

Originally posted by agent6
                OVERCAME INCREDIBLE ODDS
                Thats a good one _ I hate that!! :)

Comment

"French protesters POUR into the streets"

Are they really pouring anything, though? I don't think so.

Comment

Just read another one, though this probably more something caused by "public" figures: White House spokeman John Q Spin CLARIFIED earlier remarks by the Presidential Chef.

Why not just say what really happened? Somebody suffered from foot-in-mouth disease and they are backpedalling?

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatsLiberal
                      "French protesters POUR into the streets"

Are they really pouring anything, though? I don't think so.
                      Yeah, it's more like OOZE for the French.
                      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Here's something else that really annoys me from the media.

Ever noticed after a natural disaster, or even a man-made disaster, some jackass reporter will look for the guy who lost the most in the event, and then had the balls to ask him this:

"Sir, sir, you just lost your entire family and your lifetime's work in this DEVASTATING flood, how do you feel now?"

Once, just for once, I want to hear the guy coming back with:

"Great, I feel great! The couch really looks better over there on top of the fence. I wanted to run away from my family anyways. In fact, I'm going to Disneyland."
                        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Rotfl

Comment

I knew there was a few I was missing:

Spokesman for the Leaning Tower of Pisa rubbished reports that there is a plan to build a second tower to prop up the first one.

The Pope called upon various terrorist groups to lay down arms and pick up squirt guns instead.

He "called upon" them? How? Blackberry? Brownberry? Chuck Berry?

And something unavoidable for the media, thanks to rap and hip-hop artists being physically incapable of using their real names:

Eminem, real name Marshall Bruce Mathers III, filed the paperwork in Macomb County, Michigan.

But now Queen Latifah, real name Dana Owens, has confessed she isn't

and you get the idea

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
                              I knew there was a few I was missing:

Spokesman for the Leaning Tower of Pisa rubbished reports that there is a plan to build a second tower to prop up the first one.

The Pope called upon various terrorist groups to lay down arms and pick up squirt guns instead.

He "called upon" them? How? Blackberry? Brownberry? Chuck Berry?

And something unavoidable for the media, thanks to rap and hip-hop artists being physically incapable of using their real names:

Eminem, real name Marshall Bruce Mathers III, filed the paperwork in Macomb County, Michigan.

But now Queen Latifah, real name Dana Owens, has confessed she isn't

and you get the idea
                              Well, now you are just being picky.

Comment

Working...
                              X