• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yale/Harvard educating high-ranking Taliban

Yale Must Wake Up
    Monday, March 06, 2006
    By John Kasich

Sometimes we get it right, and sometimes we get it wrong.

Yale University, in their drive to promote diversity and tolerance, has gotten it very wrong. Their decision to admit the former deputy foreign secretary of the Taliban is both puzzling and worrisome.

Who thought this would be a good idea?

The spokesman for the Taliban, a regime known for their disregard for human rights and their oppression of women and non-Muslims, should not be given a platform at one of our nation’s top universities.

The dean of undergraduate admissions disagrees saying that Sayed Rahmatullah Hashemi is “a person to be reckoned with and who could educate us about the world.” The dean also explained that they were eager to have Hashemi as a student because they lost another student with similar credentials to Harvard.

Since when does academic competition trump principle? And what are we supposed to learn about the world from the atrocities of the Taliban?

How did he get a visa? To apply for a visa you must answer a question about belonging to a terrorist organization. While the Taliban may not be an officially recognized terrorist group, they are certainly our enemy in Afghanistan and Hashemi was their spokesman, even appearing on the Yale campus in 2001 defending many of the Taliban’s actions.

Why is our government allowing this man to live within our borders? Every day many people are denied entry to the United States, yet he continues on at Yale, lending credibility to the Taliban.

And where is the outrage on the Yale campus? While Hashemi has been attending classes at Yale for eight months, the university continues to ban other students from organizing a ROTC chapter on campus and has sought to deny military recruiters access to students on campus. I look forward to the women’s groups, the human rights advocates and others standing up, speaking out and clamoring against Hashemi’s presence on campus and the extreme views of the Taliban.

Both Yale and those within our government who approved this visa must wake up and right this wrong. While diversity may be a noble ideal, tolerance and understanding end where torture and oppression begin.

Continuing to allow this man to stay in the United States studying at Yale is a mistake and sends the wrong message to other students, the American people and the world about our values and our commitment to defending them.
    www.foxnews.com/printer_f...11,00.html

Why is the Ivy League so highly regarded again?

Comment

I once complained that these universities should encourage diversity of opinion rather than racial diversity, namely bring more libertarians/conservatives in.

I don't think I quite thought all the implications through.
      HD Ready?

Comment

Originally posted by HistoricalDavid
        I once complained that these universities should encourage diversity of opinion rather than racial diversity, namely bring more libertarians/conservatives in.

I don't think I quite thought all the implications through.
        There's no place for savage conservatives at Harvard old boy.

Comment

Diversity in public schools means different skin colors, not opinions.

They are so openminded and tolerant of different ideas that anything different will not be tolerated.
          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut
            Diversity in public schools means different skin colors, not opinions.

They are so openminded and tolerant of different ideas that anything different will not be tolerated.
            Don't you love extremist liberal logic?

Comment

One has to get into the enemy camp to know more about its psyche.

This man provides that.

He would be under surveillance by every single agency.

When Ministers of foreign countries invited by the US govt are frisked and body searched, don't you think that this bloke getting a visa is extraordinary?

To get a US visa, foreigners especially of non Eurasian origin and worse still a Moslem, have to give an arm and a leg. Therefore, isn't it an interesting phenomenon that this Moslem fundamentalist not only walked into the US, but also got admission to one of its highly rated university!

Obviously, he has the full permission of the CIA and the US govt anmd for good reasons too! ;)

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Harvard IS the enemy camp(yeah, Yale too).

Comment

Harvard IS the enemy camp(yeah, Yale too).
                  which is why 7 US presidents came from harvard, and why in the last thirty years alone 4 US presidents have come from yale...
                  There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

And i'd call at least 1 of them a flat out enemy of the American way of life, oh little rolling of the eyes boy.

Comment

What a bunch of ******s.

They don't even allow ROTC on their campus, yet they have Talebani bastards to study there.

And what the **** was the INS thinking? How the hell did he get a student's visa?

Comment

Special programs welcome grown-up students to Yale
                        From Afghani envoy to Buddhist ascetic, adult Yalies keep a low profile.
                        BY THERESE LIM

At Yale, it is commonly understood that the student next to you could be a high school valedictorian, a chess champion, or a musical prodigy; few Elis, however, would suspect their classmate to be a former Taliban official. Yet one of this year’s freshmen, 27-year-old Sayed Rahmatullah Hashemi ’09, served for years as an Afghani diplomat for the Taliban government. Today he studies Political Science in WLH next to kids fresh out of Exeter.

Hashemi is but one of many older, non-traditional Yalies enrolled in Yale’s Nondegree Students Program, one of two Yale academic programs designed to accommodate students who cannot study full-timedue to other commitments. The other program, the Eli Whitney Students Program, operates under a similar structure but allows participants to graduate with a Yale degree.

This willingness to shun the spotlight in favor of personal pursuits perhaps reflects in the degree of privacy that Hashemi, enrolled in the Nondegree Program, has maintained for himself. Though Hashemi declined to be interviewed, due to an upcoming profile in the New York Times Magazine, his friend, Saad Rizvi, PC ’08, described him as a strong and devoted student, one who consistently takes upper-level seminars despite his first-year standing. “Considering all the experience he’s had, he’s done well at [the courses],” Rizvi said. Hashemi, who has studied international development and political science at Yale, toured the U.S. in May 2001, when he met with U.S. State Department officials and gave talks at several universities, including Yale. “He’s a very intense person, very passionate about what needs to be done to improve [Afghanistan],” Rizvi said.

Hashemi, now 27 years old, fled Afghanistan when he was a child and did not return until 1995, when he joined the Taliban. Working as an envoy under Afghanistan’s foreign ministry, he represented the country in various conferences and speaking engagements abroad, where he often had to defend his government’s policies in the face of criticism.

When asked about Hashemi’s political opinions, Rizvi answered, “He has views, but his views are about how to improve things, like education. We talk about how to deal with the future and the problems in that part of the world,” he said, referring to South Asia and the Middle East.

http://www.yaleherald.com/article.php?Article=4536

Cut around the worthless stuff...
                        To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Originally posted by astralis
                          which is why 7 US presidents came from harvard, and why in the last thirty years alone 4 US presidents have come from yale...
                          Try 5 from Harvard and only 2 in the last 100 years from Yale if you're talking about undergrad. Hayes went to Harvard Law School while Ford and Clinton went to Yale Law School. Beorge W. Bush went to Yale's business school, bus his undergrad is frmo Yale as is his father's, they were were the first US President from Yale since Taft. There hasn't beena President with a Harvard undergrad degree since JFK.

Next time you try to correct someone use accurate facts.

Presidents in College

Comment

Gentlemen,

The thread is Yale/Harvard educating high-ranking Taliban

The issue is not how Presidents either institutions conjured.

The question is how did a Taliban bigwig enter the US on a students visa when entry into US is so highly monitored and regulated that anyone who has a brown skin and worse still a Moslem name would have his gonads squeezed and have them sent to a forensic lab to test if they were High Explosives before being allowed to enter the US.

Anyone any clue?

Or is it too embarrassing?

I am myself confounded when there is so much of stuff being bandied about Islam and the AQ and that is why I am keen to know what's up!

If not, let the debate go on as to who is disloyal more than the other.
                            Last edited by Ray; 10 Mar 06,, 18:38.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                              Gentlemen,

The thread is Yale/Harvard educating high-ranking Taliban

The issue is not how Presidents either institutions conjured.

The question is how did a Taliban bigwig enter the US on a students visa when entry into US is so highly monitored and regulated that anyone who has a brown skin and worse still a Moslem name would have his gonads squeezed and have them sent to a forensic lab to test if they were High Explosives before being allowed to enter the US.

Anyone any clue?

Or is it too embarrassing?

I am myself confounded when there is so much of stuff being bandied about Islam and the AQ and that is why I am keen to know what's up!

If not, let the debate go on as to who is disloyal more than the other.
                              Sir,
                              The State Department is full of Democrats. One of them probably had some sympathy for the poor guy who lost his job in October 2001 and has probably been unemployed since then.
                              "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Working...
                              X