Are You Successful?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are You Successful?

I was just asked by an aquaintance of mine if I thought I was successful. I had to think about it and try to define my idea of success. I am still not sure.

So what are your definitions of success and do you think that you are successful?

"Show me a thoroughly satisfied man and I’ll show you a failure."(Thomas Edison)
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Finding satisfaction, be it in your job, relationships or your life in general.
    Like you I have to think about it.
    When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

I feel that I am succesful in most parts. School, for some reason it's surprisingly easy to keep my 4.2 gpa up there, my relatioships can't get much better, and I'm overall happy with my life and what I've done. When I look at my dream job and life, and find that if I keep on the track I'm going on right now that I can get there, that's good.

Comment

Success for me is more of a journey than a destination. Sure, enjoy it from time to time, but don't lose sight that there is always more to be accomplished.
        Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Success does not mean never failing - but getting up and succeeding inspite of failures.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Life is supposed to be fun, I guess I'm successful in that more than 50% of the time.
            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

I'll decide on the day of my death.

Comment

So far so good for me. My formula for success is goals achieved against time taken. Hence,

Success = Achievement / Time

The younger you are at being successful – the better, since life’s basically about knowing what to throw away.....knowing what to keep......cos every hand’s a winner and every hand’s a loser......and the best that you can hope for is to die when you’re not out of all your aces

Comment

i'm married to a woman i don't dream of killing, i've got a roof over my head and my children are as secure as i can make them. food on the table, clean water in the taps and a job i don't mind dragging myself out of bed for. we don't glance nervously at the bank statement towards the end of the month -
                  it could be a lot worse...
                  before criticizing someone, walk a mile in their shoes.................... then when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

Besides, if we have the time to spend on posting messages and discussing topics in the internet, instead of working, then I say we are successful in our own right. :)

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by dave angel
                      i'm married to a woman i don't dream of killing, i've got a roof over my head and my children are as secure as i can make them. food on the table, clean water in the taps and a job i don't mind dragging myself out of bed for. we don't glance nervously at the bank statement towards the end of the month -
                      it could be a lot worse...
                      Hmmm. You've got it made, Dave. That's about as successful as I think a person can be.

I have never been married to someone I could talk to everyday without wondering how I do it and still remain sane (luckily I was only married once ) but I at least walked away from that with the most incredible child I have ever met who behaves 98% of the time and is almost always guaranteed to make me smile when nothing else can. Maybe one day I will find a man who I feel deserves to be blessed by my daughters presence ( ;) EDIT:and resides in my same time zone). I live in a nice quiet complex where we can sit outside and not be overly concerned over crime or violence. I have a job I love (almost always) in an industry I find interesting and intriguing and don't have to get nervous when bills come in either, so I guess I am almost there. :)
                      Last edited by THL; 07 Mar 06,, 16:49.
                      "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

what more is there? once you and your kids are ok the rest is just ego.

fantastic safaris around Australia's northern territory are very tempting, but going camping with the sprogs is just as rewarding. and much cheaper!
                        before criticizing someone, walk a mile in their shoes.................... then when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by dave angel
                          what more is there? once you and your kids are ok the rest is just ego.

fantastic safaris around Australia's northern territory are very tempting, but going camping with the sprogs is just as rewarding. and much cheaper!
                          Alright, I don't know so much about that camping thing. The closest I have ever come to camping was a trailer with a/c and a tv and even then I did not fare well. But I am up for a visit to the nearest Holiday Inn anytime, if that counts. and its cheaper than the Drake. ;)

While I may be willing to give up on that safari thing, I still want to go to Disney. We Want To Meet The Mouse!

Comment

So far, not really.
                            "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Originally posted by leibstandarte10
                              So far, not really.

Comment

Working...
                              X