PDA

View Full Version : Worst Military Portrayal in a Movie

Wraith601
06 Mar 06,, 21:58
What do you think it was?

I vote for the embarrasingly bad farce that was Pearl Harbor. What do you think.

Bill
06 Mar 06,, 22:42
Enemy at the Gates.

Worst depiction of a profession in the history of film.

gunnut
06 Mar 06,, 22:49
Enemy at the Gates.

Worst depiction of a profession in the history of film.

:biggrin:

I bet you loved the ending.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Wait a minute, are you telling me girls like Rachel Weiss don't become snipers?

highsea
06 Mar 06,, 22:57
I can think of no film that even remotely challenges Top Gun in the realm of stupidity.

leib10
06 Mar 06,, 23:17
Both are great candidates. At least Enemy at the Gates was (somewhat) based on reality. Top Gun was pure nonsense.

gunnut
06 Mar 06,, 23:30
What? You mean the EWO can't die from hitting the canopy during ejection?

leib10
06 Mar 06,, 23:46
Well, of course not ALL of it is ********. There have been incidents involving flat spins involving F-14's, and there (was) a place called Top Gun at Miramar. However, modern combat tactics are nothing like what was shown in Top Gun. The "welded wing" formation often portrayed in the movie is almost useless in modern aircraft.

TopHatter
07 Mar 06,, 00:41
I can think of no film that even remotely challenges Top Gun in the realm of stupidity.
Could not agree more.

I usually refer to it as "the most militarily ridiculous movie ever made".

RustyBattleship
07 Mar 06,, 00:43
The 1965 movie "Battle of the Bulge" starring Henry Fonda, Robert Shaw (Jaws), Charles Bronson, James MacArthur (Hawaii five-oh), Telly Savalas (Kojak). That was the worst depiction of that battle ever done. To begin with, they filmed it in Spain where the only representatives of tanks they could use were M-47s for German King Tigers and Panthers and M-24 Chaffees for M-4 Shermans. They could have gone to Yugoslavia (as Clint Eastwood did for "Kelly's Heros") and used vintage T-34s and M-4 Sherman Fireflys.

The producers and director(s) did not keep a close enough watch on the weather and it was almost Spring by the time Robert Shaw is trying to slip and slide an M-47 up the hill.

Also they played to much importance on the German need to take over our fuel dumps. I remember all American tanks I was ever involved with (repairing, riding, loading, commanding or driving) were gasoline powered. That includes American trucks and jeeps of that era on up to the M-60 tank in Viet Nam. Correct me if I'm wrong (and I don't think I am) all German tanks were diesels. Probably many of their trucks and half tracks as well. So they wouldn't find too much diesel fuel in our fuel dumps except for use on bulldozers or other engineer battalion equipment.

A much better film was in 1949 with "Battleground" with Van Johnson (Thirty Seconds over Tokyo), Ricardo Montalban (Fantasy Island & Khan of Star Trek) and George Murphy (US Senator from California). A little hokey in some areas, but at least it looked c-c-c-c-cold.

The best film of all, however, is "Band of Brothers".

TopHatter
07 Mar 06,, 00:46
If we are including sci-fi, then Starship Troopers definitely hits the mark for puke-worthy.

Bill
07 Mar 06,, 00:53
I stand corrected.

Topgun was definitely worse.

Great flying scenes though....and great flying scenes go a long way toward covering warts. At least to me. ;)

Still though, i agree. Topgun is the least realistic military movie of all time.

Lunatock
07 Mar 06,, 00:56
Windtalkers. Aka the movie where everything & anything shot by a Japanese rifle or M1 Garand explodes.

THL
07 Mar 06,, 01:03
Does GI Blues count?

BenRoethig
07 Mar 06,, 01:10
This stealth movie with ice cube and willem defoe. Defoe's character wore the uniform of a Navy captain, but was called a colonel throughout the film. At least the ten minutes I could stand of it.

leib10
07 Mar 06,, 01:12
The 1965 movie "Battle of the Bulge" starring Henry Fonda, Robert Shaw (Jaws), Charles Bronson, James MacArthur (Hawaii five-oh), Telly Savalas (Kojak). That was the worst depiction of that battle ever done. To begin with, they filmed it in Spain where the only representatives of tanks they could use were M-47s for German King Tigers and Panthers and M-24 Chaffees for M-4 Shermans. They could have gone to Yugoslavia (as Clint Eastwood did for "Kelly's Heros") and used vintage T-34s and M-4 Sherman Fireflys.

The producers and director(s) did not keep a close enough watch on the weather and it was almost Spring by the time Robert Shaw is trying to slip and slide an M-47 up the hill.

Also they played to much importance on the German need to take over our fuel dumps. I remember all American tanks I was ever involved with (repairing, riding, loading, commanding or driving) were gasoline powered. That includes American trucks and jeeps of that era on up to the M-60 tank in Viet Nam. Correct me if I'm wrong (and I don't think I am) all German tanks were diesels. Probably many of their trucks and half tracks as well. So they wouldn't find too much diesel fuel in our fuel dumps except for use on bulldozers or other engineer battalion equipment.

A much better film was in 1949 with "Battleground" with Van Johnson (Thirty Seconds over Tokyo), Ricardo Montalban (Fantasy Island & Khan of Star Trek) and George Murphy (US Senator from California). A little hokey in some areas, but at least it looked c-c-c-c-cold.

The best film of all, however, is "Band of Brothers".

Actually, all German tanks were gasoline powered. And it was true that a lot of the success of Operation Autumn Mist depended on capturing American fuel dumps. ;)

I just remember seeing one film about the Battle of the Bulge in which American prisoners are shot by a German in the back of a truck with an American water-cooled Browning machine gun. Talk about a big mistake! :biggrin:

RustyBattleship
07 Mar 06,, 02:16
Actually, all German tanks were gasoline powered. And it was true that a lot of the success of Operation Autumn Mist depended on capturing American fuel dumps. ;)

I just remember seeing one film about the Battle of the Bulge in which American prisoners are shot by a German in the back of a truck with an American water-cooled Browning machine gun. Talk about a big mistake! :biggrin:

NOW you are going to make me dig into the historical specs. Simply because when I was in uniform (late 50s and early 60s) I recall all of the WW II vets in my outfit (including my motor pool sergeant who was in the OSS) that US and British advances were hampered by lack of gasoline fuel whereas if they were diesel powered, like the German and Russian tanks, confiscation of fuel dumps would have put us ahead faster.

As for a German using a 1917 Browning machine gun (that's the one with the water cooling jacket as opposed to the 1919 model) they were trying to impersonate a German Maxim. But in real life (or death depending upon your point of view from either the trigger or the muzzle) it would NOT be unusual to use captured weapons or vehicles. I recall browsing through a picture book on M-4 Shermans and it showed a captured Sherman with German markings. And it wasn't for a movie.

Amled
07 Mar 06,, 02:29
..A much better film was in 1949 with "Battleground" with Van Johnson (Thirty Seconds over Tokyo), Ricardo Montalban (Fantasy Island & Khan of Star Trek) and George Murphy (US Senator from California). A little hokey in some areas, but at least it looked c-c-c-c-cold.
A favorite of mine. TCM shows it occationally.
Get a kick out of Van Johnson running around with his helmet full of eggs he never get a chance to cook, and James Whitmore as the cigar chewing topkick.
Hokey at times yet...but good.
Worst got to be Starship Trooper.
Now if they would have stuck to the novel that would have been different!!!

ChrisF202
07 Mar 06,, 02:30

I think that was BoB as well.

Another stupid one is Buffalo Soldiers (2001) and of course Pearl Harbor.

Bluesman
07 Mar 06,, 03:01
I'm sorry to remind anybody that was trying to forget this piece of dreck, but Iron Eagle and it's putrid sequel have to be the absolute LOWEST EVER portrayal by Hollywood of what the military is like.

I need a drink. GodDAYUM.

Horrido
07 Mar 06,, 04:55
You barely beat me to it, Blues.

As to female Russian snipers, there were a few hotties in the mix that would give Rachel Weiss a run for her money.

Bill
07 Mar 06,, 05:04
Horrido i seriously doubt you'd feel warm and loved around a filth covered hardened killer...even if she has a nice figure

I know you pretty well bro, don't seem like your type.

You are more of the cute USAF C-141 pilot type methinx.... ;)

sparten
07 Mar 06,, 05:05
Crimson Tide anyone?
"Go Bama, Roll Tide."
It sucked like hell.

As for the tanks, I think post-Panther all were Diesel Powered.

RustyBattleship
07 Mar 06,, 05:21
:

Now I am getting worried about my memory recall. Or I'm getting paranoid and believe all fuel specs for WW II German tanks have been altered. According to one website that is historically very accurate and detailed, it is true all (or at least most) German tanks were gasoline powered.

However, I do recall some of the vets in my outfit mentioning that the Germans were using diesel fuel for something that had an advantage over us. Don't forget, I was only 18 when I first joined up and today I'm on Medicare. So be kind with your answers.

RustyBattleship
07 Mar 06,, 05:31
Thought I'd throw in another movie that was totally historically incorrect (except for the opening) and that was "Operation Crossbow" with George Peppard. There actually was such a special ops mission to discover what the German rocket program was all about. But after the opening scene that showed a piloted V-1 buzz bomb being tested by a female test pilot, the rest of the movie was all hogwash especially the transatlantic V rocket.

"Guns of Navaronne" was an exciting movie to watch but historically never happened. It was (very) loosely based upon a couple of large German howitzers we had to face during our Italy campaign.

The British seem to put out the most historically accurate movies such as "Pursuit of the Graf Spee". I still haven't been able to convince the USS Salem museum group to mention the fact that Salem played the title role. They don't like the idea that the ship played a Nazi ship.

lemontree
07 Mar 06,, 05:47
I'm sorry to remind anybody that was trying to forget this piece of dreck, but Iron Eagle and it's putrid sequel have to be the absolute LOWEST EVER portrayal by Hollywood of what the military is like.

I need a drink. GodDAYUM.
You beat me to it, IRON EAGLE and its sequels II & III are really sick.
One the good old movies was the Wild Geese.

Bill
07 Mar 06,, 14:07
Crimson Tide anyone?
"Go Bama, Roll Tide."
It sucked like hell.

Yer crazy dude.

Bluesman
07 Mar 06,, 14:25
I know it's the complete opposite of what the thread was about, but I thought one of the very BEST movies to portray the military - especially LEADERSHIP AND COMMAND - was 12 O'Clock High.

Brian Donlevy's acting as the two-star general is not-so-hotso (he was REALLY 'old school', so I give him a pass), but Gregory Peck, the guy that played the XO, Major Cobb, and Lt. Zimmermann were a credit to their craft.

It has been a required feature at Air Force professional military education courses for many years, and rightly so. It shows what it means to be in command, to LEAD, instead of just doing your job. It actually made me see what the word meant, and if you look behind the storyline, the acting, the combat scenes and the 'movie' aspects, there is real value there.

Can't say more for a military movie than this: it was a realistic portrayal of what the military is like, and it inspires military people to become better leaders. QED.

bull
07 Mar 06,, 14:40
Enemy at the gates :eek: ...thats one of my favourite!!!

Ray
07 Mar 06,, 16:09
Sniper and Bluesman,

You would not have posted on this thread if you saw and understood Hindi movies (Bollywood).

In Indian films no matter how serious or dangerous the scene maybe, there has to be the village belle cavorting, romancing and singing songs!

There was this film (I forget the name) which was supposed to be based on the 1962 War with China, where India got a drubbing.

In that film, the heroine was dancing, singing, parancing, romancing with the military hero up in the High Altitude mountains (Ladakh) with the Chinese all around! :eek:

When I went to Ladakh and started climbing the High Altitude mountains, I was out of breath owing to the rarified atmosphere. This film came back in my memory's eye as to how the hell the woman in Ladakh could be so energetic and romantic, when to take a step it appears as if the lungs would burst!

If that was not a silly and stupid film, I wonder what is!

HistoricalDavid
07 Mar 06,, 17:04
Ray,

http://thetvroom.com/p-bbc-one-2002-b.shtml

(Second set of pictures from the top.)

The BBC likes to throw random Bollywood in its adverts, though we never actually have any Indian films at all.

leib10
08 Mar 06,, 00:28
Enemy at the gates :eek: ...thats one of my favourite!!!

Sorry dude, but that reality was so unlike the movie it was almost a travesty to say that it was based on a true story.

Horrido
08 Mar 06,, 05:39
12 O'Clock High... The scene that's burned into my dad's memory, is when he tries to pull himself up into the hatch, and he physically just can't do it.

For the professors I've worked with (and I do mean "with" not just "for"), I've always appreciated that the majority of them would even be in on weekends doing some of the more menial tasks, such as mowing the lawn around or pulling weeds from the campus research plots. If I stumbled across my prof putting time in, I made it a point to stay until the tasking was finished.

Horrido
08 Mar 06,, 05:41
Sorry dude, but that reality was so unlike the movie it was almost a travesty to say that it was based on a true story.

Oddly enough, most of the Russian snipers killed in the movie were based on real people... Who actually survived the war.

lemontree
08 Mar 06,, 05:43
There was this film (I forget the name) which was supposed to be based on the 1962 War with China, where India got a drubbing.

In that film, the heroine was dancing, singing, parancing, romancing with the military hero up in the High Altitude mountains (Ladakh) with the Chinese all around! :eek:

Sir,
I disagree on this. If you are referring to Haqikat (Reality) made in 1964 by Chetan Mehta. I agree about the song and dance part of the film. But it remains a classic movie that brought home the reality of the war to the Indian masses in the days when TV was not a part of our lives.
The lyrics of the theme song "E mere watan ke logo" is an ever green tear jerker.
There are a whole lot of Indian made war movies that are plane stupid an poorly made.

-{SpoonmaN}-
08 Mar 06,, 05:47
'The Battle of the Bulge'. I believe it had Telly Sovalis and some other big actors of the day in it, but it's been a while since I last saw it. A classic example of a glorification of warfare, it didn't show a drop of blood being spilt, yet hundreds of people died on screen, all of course dying instantly unless they had something dramatic to say. Oh and did you know, you can destory and entire company of King Tiger tanks using only flaming fuel barrels according to this movie?

-{SpoonmaN}-
08 Mar 06,, 05:51
As for a 'good' depiction of warfare (Veterans forgive me, since I'm obviously not one myself), I think the Thin Red Line did a good job of showing how ugly war is, while at the same time not putting all the people who go to war up on a pedestal, they are after all, human too (That was Black Hawk Down's biggest failing, it's not like everyone in the Military is some sort of all-American hero).

gunnut
08 Mar 06,, 06:22
Oddly enough, most of the Russian snipers killed in the movie were based on real people... Who actually survived the war.

I saw a program on the History Channel that called into question the existance of the German Sniper Colonel (or was it Major) Koenig. The program claimed that Vasily Zytsev(?) did exist and was indeed a sniper. But the sniper duel in Stalingrad was entirely made up. Post war German research could not find a sniper instructor named Koenig who was sent to Stalingrad to hunt for Russian snipers.

-{SpoonmaN}-
08 Mar 06,, 06:42
I saw a program on the History Channel that called into question the existance of the German Sniper Colonel (or was it Major) Koenig. The program claimed that Vasily Zytsev(?) did exist and was indeed a sniper. But the sniper duel in Stalingrad was entirely made up. Post war German research could not find a sniper instructor named Koenig who was sent to Stalingrad to hunt for Russian snipers.

Regardless of whether or not he really existed, sniper-duels are supposed to have taken place, I believe they were mentioned on a History Channel documentary on Stalingrad. I think it was one of the Line of Fire series.

agent6
12 Mar 06,, 04:52
Pearl Harbor was a chick flick so it's ok not to like it :)

agent6
12 Mar 06,, 04:53
What about Thin Red Line?

Ray
12 Mar 06,, 13:54
Ray,

http://thetvroom.com/p-bbc-one-2002-b.shtml

(Second set of pictures from the top.)

The BBC likes to throw random Bollywood in its adverts, though we never actually have any Indian films at all.

That one looks the typical Bollywood stuff - song, dance, villian, no storyline and the usual humbug.

There are some good ones too like BLACK and PARINITA.

But then I don't watch movies unless they are good. My attention span for movies is very low and I normally go off to sleep.

My bed is a better place to sleep.

Bill
12 Mar 06,, 16:42
What about Thin Red Line?

Eh, i thought that was crap too.

You want to see a good war movie, get your hands on the movie, "The Beast".

May not be the most realistic at all times, but it sure is GOOD. ;)

agent6
12 Mar 06,, 20:29
I forgot about DOOM. I liked it.

sparten
13 Mar 06,, 04:23
Blackadder season 4 was probably the funniest.

"He is encouraging me to get my Brains Blown out for Britain."