PDA

View Full Version : Many die in Istanbul blasts

Ironduke
20 Nov 03,, 14:25
Many die in Istanbul blasts

Bomb attacks on the British consulate and the HSBC bank headquarters in Istanbul have left at least 25 dead and about 400 injured.

The attacks are thought to have been carried out by suicide car bombers, and the UK foreign secretary said they bore all the hallmarks of al-Qaeda and associated organisations.

Istanbul is a city in chaos, the BBC's Steve Bryant says.

There is collapsed masonry, shattered windows, burned out cars and general scenes of confusion at the two sites. Much of the city's phone network has been cut.

Hospitals are inundated with hundreds of wounded people, traffic is blocking the roads and crisis officials are asking people to leave the centre to clear the way for ambulances.

Responding to news of the attacks, UK Prime Minister Tony Blair said there could be "no holding back" in confronting the "menace" of global terrorism.

US President George Bush said the bombers had shown "utter contempt" for human life.

The explosions come just days after 23 people died in suicide bombings on two synagogues in the city.

The 15-storey headquarters of the London-based bank towers over a busy shopping area, which correspondents say would have been crowded when the explosion occurred at 1110 Turkish time.

The consulate bomb occurred two minutes later.

British consul-general Roger Short is among those missing at the scene of the consulate blast.

Witnesses reported seeing a light-coloured van driving straight at the consulate building before the explosion.

'Organised terror'

A man who called the semi-official Anatolia news agency claimed that Al-Qaeda and the Turkish Islamic militant group IBDA-C had jointly carried out the attacks.

Turkish Foreign Minister Abullah Gul said Turkey would not bow to terror.

"We are faced with organised terrorist attacks," he said. "This time it was British interests, last week it was two synagogues."

Trading on the Istanbul stock exchange was suspended after the explosions and the Turkish lira dived on foreign exchange markets.

A group claiming to be linked to al-Qaeda also claimed responsibility for the synagogue attacks last Saturday.

It warned that new attacks against the US and its allies were being planned.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3222608.stm

bigross86
20 Nov 03,, 14:32
I hope tha bastards rot in Hell. No, that's too good for them...

Ironduke
20 Nov 03,, 14:33
British consul-general Roger Short confirmed dead in the blast by CNN.

Ray
20 Nov 03,, 17:59
Disgusting. What are they trying to gain?

I think they are foolish. Britain is very concerned about the Islamists. They don't even arrest those who criticise their law and yet hold British citizenship and yet these blokes are targetting them? What do they want?

PiggyWiggy
21 Nov 03,, 07:39
Well the idea of terrorism is simple.

It is not meant to start a conflict, but end one or even it out.

There are many countries out there that have no voice, no military.

and the only thing they can do is, blow something up.

It is an efficient way of getting your message out there.

However, a lot of innocent people die. :( :(

Ray
21 Nov 03,, 08:27
The worst part is that none can actually pin the organisation or the country that has perpetuated this dastardly crime as per BBC.

They should roast in hell. But then that is an useless sentiment I am expressing. I think it is time that swine Osama is doing and kynched as per Islamic law in public and stoned or whatever.

PiggyWiggy
23 Nov 03,, 04:06
Ray. For an India, you sure seem bias.

Do you ask yourselves, why they do these things?

What drives a man to such extremes?

of course not. all you imperialists like to think is about yourselves.

ZFBoxcar
23 Nov 03,, 05:13
Ray. For an India, you sure seem bias.

Do you ask yourselves, why they do these things?

What drives a man to such extremes?

of course not. all you imperialists like to think is about yourselves.

They would have far more sucess for their cause if they didnt rally public opinion AGAINST them by MURDERING people. I know the crime of murder probly doesnt mean much to you because its based on 'biased assumptions' or some cultural relativism crap like that, but human life matters to other people.

PiggyWiggy
23 Nov 03,, 05:28
Human life matters to the little people

Cultures that are almost extinct.

And they know that they are extinct!

They are not going to fight with your rules, they want to go out with a bang. and terrorism is the answer to their problems.

Do you not understand? People want freedom, you deny them that right by chosing to take over them.

edited for content by -=ADMIN=-

Ironduke
23 Nov 03,, 05:29
Piggywiggy, consider yourself warned.

PiggyWiggy
23 Nov 03,, 05:36
Why am I warned?

ZFBoxcar
23 Nov 03,, 05:39
what freedom is being denied to Turks? What part of their culture were the British consulate and the synagogues destroying?

You are sticking to platitudes and ignoring the reality of who was actually targeted.

PiggyWiggy
23 Nov 03,, 05:44
The turks are the target god damn it!

I am losing touch with reality? i am perfectly in touch with reality.

TOOO MUCH SO!

Ironduke
23 Nov 03,, 05:59
Originally posted by PiggyWiggy
Why am I warned?
Because of your belligerent attitude, your foul language, your flaming and trolling.

PiggyWiggy
23 Nov 03,, 06:11
I have been acused of trolling once before on another forum.

what does it mean?

and my flaming is good. whats the reason for a discusion forum if you can not have a good flame?

Ironduke
23 Nov 03,, 06:23
Insulting other members, having a bad attitude, looking for fights.

And no, I don't like flaming. I like mature, civil discussion.

There is no reason why two people with diametrical viewpoints have to resort to flaming.

ZFBoxcar
23 Nov 03,, 06:49
The turks are the target god damn it!

Do you mean the target of the bombings or the target of this cultural genocide you speak of. If the latter, please elaborate, and explain how the synagogues and the british consulate are behind this. If the former, then you agree, these bombings ARE wrong, and so you admit you were wrong before?

bigross86
23 Nov 03,, 13:48
Admit he was wrong? Surely you jest!!!

PiggyWiggy
23 Nov 03,, 20:44
lol i like you ross.

Look. Turks are the target.

I do not like discussing conspiracy material on the internet. If you are willing to meet up. WHy not?

bigross86
23 Nov 03,, 20:51
lol i like you ross.

The name's Ben, not Ross.

Look. Turks are the target.

And you deduced this from the Synagogue attacks and the attacks on British targets?

I do not like discussing conspiracy material on the internet. If you are willing to meet up. WHy not?

You wanna come to Israel? Sure! I might even meet you at the airport to laugh really hard.

ZFBoxcar
23 Nov 03,, 21:54

I asked what sense the turks were victims in. Of course they are victims of these bombings, no doubt about it. But you were talking about victims in the broader sense of cultural genocide right? Why do you refuse to elaborate, or even respond at all?

1) At least in my country, nobody is monitering what material i write or look at on the internet.
2) We are not discussing secret matters or things that nobody has ever discussed before

Ok, so if you are ignorning my post on the grounds that some government agency is watching us, do you have MSN messenger? I would be happy to discuss these things with you.

PiggyWiggy
24 Nov 03,, 01:13
i do

its just...

i do not feel comfortable telling you that.

you dont understand any of my earlier posts, so whats the use?

ZFBoxcar
24 Nov 03,, 02:52
this is not how forums work. The idea is to try to convince people that you are right, not just comment on how you are poor misunderstood soul and how nobody is capable of thinking on your level. If you wanna say something, say it, if you dont then why are you here?

PiggyWiggy
24 Nov 03,, 08:11
Look.

I am sure you can not comprehend what goes through the minds of others differeent from you.

ZFBoxcar
25 Nov 03,, 01:05
Different how? Again, if thats the case, WHY ARE YOU HERE? If you dont believe any of us are capable of understanding eachother (unless you are just talking about me but i didnt think you were), then why bother to communicate at all?

PiggyWiggy
25 Nov 03,, 08:17
sooorrrrrryyyyy