Afghanistan opposes missile names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afghanistan opposes missile names

Afghanistan has asked the Pakistani military to stop naming its nuclear missiles after the heroes of Afghan history.

Information Minister Sayed Makhdum Rahin said he had sent a letter to Islamabad requesting they avoid naming weapons after Afghanistan's rulers and emperors.

"Their names should be bracketed with academic, cultural and peace-promoting institutions, not with tools of destruction and killing," he said.

"World-famous Afghans, like (Mahmud) Ghaznawi, (Ahmad Shah) Abdali and (Shahabuddin) Ghauri, had spread knowledge and civilisation from Afghanistan to the subcontinent of India," he added.

The Ghaznawi, Abdali and Ghauri missiles - capable of carrying nuclear warheads - were developed by Pakistan to counter the threat posed by its arch-rival India's nuclear arsenal.

The missiles are a source of huge national pride in Pakistan, which named them after Muslim conquerors who defeated Hindu rulers and governed parts of what is now Afghanistan, Pakistan and India.

'Interference'

Only last week its nuclear weapons programme tested the short range surface-to-surface ballistic missile, the Haft-II Abdali, named after the founder of the powerful Durrani dynasty, which helped shape modern Afghanistan.

The Ghauri missile, designed to threaten major cities across India, is named after Mohammed Ghauri, who in 1192 defeated a Rajput Hindu king near to where the Pakistan-India border now runs.

The Ghaznavid missile is named after Mahmud Ghaznavi, who was never defeated on the battlefield, and conquered Punjab in 1021. Pakistan has refused to comment.

Rahin said Pakistan was welcome to use the names for peaceful things like monuments and conference rooms.

Many Afghans believe Pakistan interferes too much in its internal affairs.

Relations have been damaged by the presence of Taleban and al-Qaeda-led militants in the Pashtun tribal areas on both sides of the border.

Last week Afghan President Hamid Karzai visited Islamabad to urge Pakistan do more to crack down on the militants.

BBC

__________________________________________________ ____________

Picked up this link from BR. This is so funny.I mean the Pakistanis are so proud of Ghaznawi and Ghauri that they name their missiles after them, but the Afghans arent amused,telling them to find their own heroes.
    Last edited by hammer; 23 Feb 06,, 10:55.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'...till you can find a rock. ;)

Hammer,

Pakistan’s borrowed hero’s, borrowed heroic exploits syndrome has always puzzled me. .

The syndrome is certainly widespread and not just limited to naming missiles. There we certainly have grounds for the Afghan's being peeved given that we have the Ghauri missile named after an Afghan born Turko-Persian Mohammed Ghor and Ghaznavi missile after a Afghan born Turk, Mahmud of Ghazni.

Go through the official Pakistan Navy website page on the Type 21.

Among the details the page gives, is an explanation on the significance of the ship’s names.

I was rather surprised to note that almost all the ships have been named after either individuals or events that are not linked to Pakistan (ie : where individuals, they were neither born or principally based within the present territorial confines of Pakistan; where events, once again the events were not located within the present territorial confines of Pakistan.,)

Thus the first ship (in the order named in the page) was named after an Arab (PNS Tariq/Tariq bin Zayed), the second after an individual born in Southern India (PNS Tipu/Tipu Sultan) and one who never set in foot within the present territorial confines of Pakistan, the third after an individual born in Uzbekistan who headquartered himself in India (PNS Babur/Babur), the fourth after a Saudi Arabian battle (PNS Khaibar/ Battle of Khaibar), and the sixth once again after a Saudi Arabian battle (PNS Badr/ Battle of Badr).

Surely there cannot be a problem of trying to find heroic individuals born within the present territorial confines of Pakistan.or for that matter heroic events ?

I can immediately think of a heroic individual born within the present territorial confines of Pakistan, namely Maharaja Ranjit Singh.

Comment

Originally posted by hammer
      Afghanistan has asked the Pakistani military to stop naming its nuclear missiles after the heroes of Afghan history.
      They are as much part of our history as theirs so who care what they have to say

Comment

lol, i dun think u have much of a history.... cuz before 1947, u were part of Indian history... ;)
        Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
        -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Originally posted by Tronic
          lol, i dun think u have much of a history.... cuz before 1947, u were part of Indian history... ;)
          How very typical Indian to deny us our own history!

Dude, eventhough Pakistan was part of British India before 1947 and numerous empires before that, all historical events that took place on Pakistani soil become part of our history, our inheritage and we're proud if it and no least ashamed to share it with our indian brothers.

Thats the difference in mentality, often hard to maintain when you're on the other side ;)

Comment

Hmmm, while the geographic area that is called Pakistan today does have a history...one should remember if it is not being respected enough in Pakistan today

Its Islam all the way.
            I think I have vented my disgust at the attitude so many times on this forum already....So I shall keep quiet for a while now.

Comment

Originally posted by Neo
              They are as much part of our history as theirs so who care what they have to say
              The Afghans don't seem to think so.

Comment

Originally posted by Neo
                all historical events that took place on Pakistani soil become part of our history, our inheritage and we're proud if it and no least ashamed to share it with our indian brothers.
                You are one of the miniscule minority of Pakistanis who thinks along these lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Hari_Om
                  Hammer,
                  I can immediately think of a heroic individual born within the present territorial confines of Pakistan, namely Maharaja Ranjit Singh.
                  Hari,
                  Maybe if someone can travel back in time and convert Maharaja Ranjit singh to Mohammed Rashid sulayman, he will be a national hero in seconds. .

But seriously, if they had that sort of understanding towards our common history and culture,there wouldnt be any hostility between us to begin with.

Comment

Afghans can go ***** themselves (oh I forgot they do that already).
                    Its our decision if we wish to name it after an Afghan warlord or muslim or Greco Buddhist or whoever.
                    The US should change the name of its Thor IRBM's Nordic gods not theirs?
                    Or the Jupiter ones, Italian or Roman not theirs.

Instead it should be crazy horse IRBM

Makes just as much sence.
                    "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

Originally posted by Samudra
                      Hmmm, while the geographic area that is called Pakistan today does have a history...one should remember if it is not being respected enough in Pakistan today
                      ??

Its Islam all the way.
                      I think I have vented my disgust at the attitude so many times on this forum already....So I shall keep quiet for a while now.
                      Thanks! ;)

Comment

Originally posted by sparten
                        Afghans can go ***** themselves (oh I forgot they do that already).
                        Yeah they should.They had allowed their neighbors to screw them for so long. I too think its time they screw themselves.

Originally posted by sparten
                        The US should change the name of its Thor IRBM's Nordic gods not theirs?
                        Or the Jupiter ones, Italian or Roman not theirs.
                        Maybe they should wait till some Nordic,Greek or Italian govt complains about American weapons being named after their heroes or Gods ? :)

Comment

The Afghans don't seem to think so.
                          Like I said, who cares what they think!
                          When Afghans invaded territories that are in Pakistan today and reigned it for decades, they became part of our history.

Like I've stated before, naming of missiles after those hero's is an effictive political game to piss off Indians and therefor very sellectively chosen.

For example, Indian missile 'Prithvi' was testfired before Pakistani "Ghori'

Read the history between Gori and Prithviraj;
                          But after getting married to Sanyogita; Prithviraj lost all propriety of the duties of a ruler and gave all his attention to his 'Queen of Hearts'. While their extended honeymoon was on, the wily Ghori was planning his invasion of India to avenge his past defeats. Prithviraj ignored repeated warnings from his courtiers that Ghori's attack was imminent. When Prithviraj, woke up from his infatuation it was too late. His very large but ill-prepared army had to face defeat at the hands of Ghori’s small but well-prepared army in the battlefield of Tarain and he himself was captured and killed by the enemy. And Delhi came under Muslim rule that was to last the next 700 years. The freedom of the country was also imperilled after the fall of Prithviraja III at the hands of Muhammad Ghori after the second battle of Terain (1192 A.D.). The Pauranika points to the political blunder of the Chahamana ruler who was succumbed in sensuous slumber in the company of his newly acquired wife Samyogita [or Samyukta]. Prithviraj was enjoying with the company of his newly acquired wife sanyogita when the enemy was pounding at the gates of delhi.
                          Prithviraj's forces had 500,000 horses, 50,000 elephants and 5,000,000 warriors. Though the Hindus had great numerical strength than muslims they were all massacred by Ghori in second battle. Prithvi was cruelly killed by Ghori and Sanyogita killed herself as she was cruelly raped by Ghori. More than 3,500,000 rajput soldiers were killed in the battlefield itself.
                          The irony of the matter is that India still has numerical advantage over Pakistan, so the paralell with the history is very interesting and quite amusing if you're a Pakistani

Comment

You are one of the miniscule minority of Pakistanis who thinks along these lines.
                            Please elaborate...

Comment

Originally posted by Neo
                              Like I've stated before, naming of missiles after those hero's is an effictive political game to piss off Indians and therefor very sellectively chosen.

For example, Indian missile 'Prithvi' was testfired before Pakistani "Ghori'
                              ROFL! Thats the funniest part. When the first Indian missile was named Prithvi , the Pakistanis thought that we named the missile after the King Prithviraj Chauhan , while it actually meant "Earth". . Hence the other Indian missiles were named as Akash (sky)and Agni(fire).

Originally posted by Neo
                              The irony of the matter is that India still has numerical advantage over Pakistan, so the paralell with the history is very interesting and quite amusing if you're a Pakistani
                              We need more Pakistanis like you, still living in the past. . It sure helps us in the future. ;)
                              Last edited by hammer; 23 Feb 06,, 19:40.

Comment

Working...
                              X