Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thousands file past Italy's dead

Thousands file past Italy's dead

ROME, Italy (AP) -- Thousands of mourners, from Italy's president to ordinary citizens, streamed past the caskets of 19 Italians killed in Iraq, paying their respects Monday to the victims of Italy's worst military disaster since World War II.

Shortly before, the remains of the 19th victim Cpl. Pietro Petrucci -- who had been pronounced dead Saturday after being declared brain dead -- arrived at Rome's Ciampino airport. His body was then taken to Rome's Vittoriano monument to be displayed with the other victims.

"They were angels bringing peace, to die like that is not fair," Valentina Angelone, a 21-year old student, said as she lined up with thousands of others outside the monument in Rome's central Piazza Venezia.

The area around the monument was already filled with people when the coffins, draped in red-white-and-green flags, were carried inside the building. The vast Piazza Venezia was partially closed off to traffic.

People in the crowd were carrying notes and bunches of flowers. Some had to wait hours for a look at the coffins.

Italy's top officials were the first ones to pay their respects. President Carlo Azeglio Ciampi, who had just flown back from the United States, came with his wife. He and Premier Silvio Berlusconi also exchanged a few words with the victims' families.

The deaths of the 19 Italians -- 12 Carabinieri, five army soldiers and two civilians -- have stunned Italy and created a groundswell of pride in the work the Italian troops were trying to do to help rebuild Iraq.

"I feel pain and admiration," said Tamara Crolla, a 19-year-old student who came from Caserta in southern Italy to pay her respects. She said she felt proud of the nation. "This feeling has brought everyone together."

Rome officials said they expect about a million people at the public viewing, which was scheduled to last until a state funeral Tuesday morning. The funeral, to be broadcast live on Italian state TV from a Rome basilica, was certain to bring more distress to a country that has been in mourning since Wednesday's attack in the southern city of Nasiriya.

On Tuesday, the whole nation will pay tribute. The Colosseum will turn off its lights, schools will observe a minute of silence, shops will close briefly and workers will pause for 10 minutes.

The attack killed 32 people and wounded 80. Petrucci was taken to a hospital in Kuwait, where he was declared dead after his life support system was switched-off.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe....ap/index.html
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

jesus, dont want to sound disrespectful...
    but
    WELCOME TO GUERILLA WARFARE ITALY!

Comment

Yup.

In most countries, this many people die in a simple war game exercise lol.

What do you people expect? its a war. People die, you just aint gonna walk in and raise your flag. These are arabs, and their thinking is different from your thinking.

Plus, when someone invades your country, are you gonna stand there like a dumbass going, ALRIGHT YEAH! HE CAME TO LIBERATE US!

no man. you find a gun, and try to stop them, this is your country and your people, you say to yourself.

Comment

Turning out the lights for 2 minutes won't do.

Go man go.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Lol Ray.

You really from India?

Thats right. All the sophisticated technology is not going to stop a desperate man who wants to save his country.

LoL USA liberating IrAq? hehe. Liberating them from what?

Comment

Originally posted by PiggyWiggy
            Thats right. All the sophisticated technology is not going to stop a desperate man who wants to save his country.
            But it can kill HIM and his family. it's high time that these numb wits understand that!!
            A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Lol Ray.

You really from India?

Sure.

However, Bush is not in any mood to run away from Iraq. No way. You should hear him on TV. Lots of resolve and he convinces himself that he is right. In fact, he could do well to use Davy Crockette's famous saying - Be Sure You Are Right And Then go Ahead. Well Bush thinks he is right and he is going ahead.....full steam.

So, it will ensure that this thread will have a long run.

Who will win?

God, Allah or whoever knows. A lots of lives on eithr side will be lost. That is what is sad.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Sir,

Request for your observations, please.

I cannot see how this war could have been avoided. As far as I saw, this was a continuation of the Kuwait War and the Iraq Air War ever since. There must be a conclusion somehow. Saddam had continually defied the Terms of Surrender, and the spirit but not the letter of the UN Resolutions defining those terms.

I have severe reservations on the clusterfucked occupation that has been obviously not thought out. However, short of a Mongol solutiuon, I cannot see how this insurgency could have been avoided. It could have been minimized vis-a-vi the British Malay experience.

However, looking at the Indian experience at Kragil and how long the InA are still having problems.

Sir, your views please.

Comment

Lol

You guys act as if Bush does not know he is being made fun of, or even if he is wrong.

He could give a rats ass. As long as he is good and he knows good things will be written about him when he is dead.

Hell that is an assuring feeling i would like to have.

Plus. There is no need for war unless security is at stake.

Comment

Colonel,

Please Check your e mail.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Sir,

My much appreciate thanks. As always, very enlightening.

Comment

LoL USA liberating IrAq? hehe. Liberating them from what?
                        Dude, youve got problems, Saddam was evil or do you disagree with that as well?

Comment

Look here.

The bottom truth is.

Sadam may have done a lot of bad things.

But he also did a lot of good things.

he turned he poor shitty country, using oil money, into a top notch muslim country. He kept IRAQ together.

Alright, he did have a police state. And now the people are "free" (haha) but think about it. Now not everyone has education or a job. and just a few months back they did.

My views vs yours. Yours are right in america, mine everywhere else.

Comment

Colonel,

I am very keen for your critique on my e mail id.

Thanks.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Sir,

Will respond within 48 hours.

Comment

Working...
                              X