David Irving gets 3 years in Prison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Irving gets 3 years in Prison

I just read in today's paper that British "Historian" (and I say that word very loosely) David Irving has received a sentence of 3 years in an Austrian Prison.

His charge was giving lectures and writing books claiming that the holocaust never occured and it was a propoganda act to gain sympathy for the Jews.

His trial only lasted one day as he was in a "Damned if you do and Damned if you don't" catch 22 of Austrian laws. His supporters claim his right of "free speech" was denied. On the other hand, Irving himself confessed that the sources of his history was flawed.

Either way, in MY mind, he was guilty of trying to rewrite history to satisfy his own fantasy of what history SHOULD have been. It lessened the horrible treatment and executions of Jews (and others that disagreed with the paper hanger) and elevated the roll of the SS that they weren't such bad guys after all.

I think a 3 year prison sentence is a bit too short though he faced up to 10 years. Ironically in a country that itself was Nazi.

As somewhat of an historian myself, I absolutely abhor people who try to rewrite history by inserting their own fantasies. Another example is that ding-a-ling who wrote a treatise that the ammo ship explosion at Port Chicago in WW II was actually a test of a Uranium bomb.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

You should read Irvings bio of Rommel, great stuff. Pity he went that way. But well Freedom of Speech is an important thing and this is a touch too far.
    Give him what he deserves; annoyminity, not free publicity, bet sales of his books are going trough the roof right about now.
    "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

Originally posted by sparten
      You should read Irvings bio of Rommel, great stuff. Pity he went that way. But well Freedom of Speech is an important thing and this is a touch too far.
      Give him what he deserves; annoyminity, not free publicity, bet sales of his books are going trough the roof right about now.
      It'll proably turn him into a martyr for the far right. I used to lurk on some of their sites from time to time and to hear them talk he's being persecuted worse than Jesus himself. I'd hate to see what they're saying now.

Comment

Originally posted by sparten
        I agree. Being a moron should not carry a jail sentence UNLESS you actually hurt someone in the process.

Comment

Agreed. And like Aryan pointed out, this does, to a limited extent, make hypocrits out of part of the West.

Comment

Even though Irving is an ******* for denying the holocaust, you can't get 3 years for voicing your opinion.

Comment

Working...
            X