pix of first few milliseconds of atomic blast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pix of first few milliseconds of atomic blast

"Ever wondered what an atomic blast looks like before it obliterates everything around it? Before the smoke, the mushroom cloud, the devastation, it's really quite amazing to see the first few fractions of an atomic bomb upon detonation.

Edgerton built a special lens 10 feet long for his camera which was set up in a bunker 7 miles from the source of the blast which was triggered Nevada - the bomb placed atop a steel gantry anchored to the desert floor by guide wires. The exposures are at 1/100,000,000ths of a second.

Due to the extremely high shutter speeds, the image quality and color depth is limited in these photos."

"Automatic Camera situated 7 miles from blast with 10 foot lens. Shutter speed equaled 1/100,000,000 of-a-second exposure."

"With energy so great, the electric like energy runs down the towers guide wires and turns the desert floor to glass."

"With a planet of fire, Joshua tree's near the base get vaporized in just microseconds."

http://www.rapidnewswire.com/atom.htm

The oddest thing....after looking at the pictures, the fisrt thought (word) that came to mind was BIRTH
    Maybe I need to do some serious soul searching

Comment

Those pics are FASCINATING.

Comment

Now just imagine what it'd look like with modern ultra-high speed cameras...

Almost worth cracking one open and heading down to Nevada again!
        HD Ready?

Comment

How the hell does one get a camara's shutter to go at a single nano second?
          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Another test, to the best of my knowledge using the same shutter speed:

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut
              How the hell does one get a camara's shutter to go at a single nano second?
              You use the same principle as photo finishes. Namely you pass a film across a narrow slot at high speed and don't use a shutter. And yes the photos are awesome.
              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Kid<2>Nite
                The oddest thing....after looking at the pictures, the fisrt thought (word) that came to mind was BIRTH
                Maybe I need to do some serious soul searching
                Our latest baby was ivf. We have a photo of him when he was six cells big, (how cool is that) and yeah photo 3 is just like it.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by parihaka
                  Our latest baby was ivf. We have a photo of him when he was six cells big, (how cool is that) and yeah photo 3 is just like it.

If I'm reading into that correctly....you're a new daddy... again. Congradulations!

Comment

Originally posted by Kid<2>Nite
                    If I'm reading into that correctly....you're a new daddy... again. Congradulations!
                    He's nine months old and thanks very much

Leibniz

Comment

Fantastic pictures!!!!
                      Originally posted by parihaka
                      He's nine months old and thanks very much
                      Tell the little fella we said "hi". ;)
                      No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
                      I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                      even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                      He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Working...
                      X