Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US "Arena"-like anti ATGM/rocket system

http://www.defencetalk.com/news/publ...cle_004897.php

Quick Kill Achieves a First; Decimates 'Enemy' RPG in Test with Precision Launched Munition
    Raytheon Company
    Thu, 9 Feb 2006, 20:20

MCKINNEY, Texas: Raytheon Company's new Quick Kill System is the first active protection system (APS) to destroy a rocket propelled grenade (RPG) at close range, using a precision launched warhead with a focused blast. The successful test occurred at a New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology test center Feb. 7, 2006.

Quick Kill is a new "hit avoidance" system designed by Raytheon to protect combat vehicles and their warfighters from enemy fire. It destroys enemy weapons with speed, surgical accuracy and minimal collateral damage. The system is capable of instantly engaging projectiles fired from any location around or above the vehicle.

The test featured an RPG launched at close range, simulating an engagement of a Stryker combat vehicle equipped with Raytheon's Quick Kill system. The Quick Kill's active electronically scanned array radar detected and tracked the RPG and -- after computing its speed, trajectory and intercept point -- cued the precision-launched weapon to counterattack and destroy the RPG with its focused blast warhead. The weapon performed a vertical "soft launch," pitched over, accelerated to the point of intercept, fired its warhead and destroyed the RPG in mid-air. All of this occurred in the proverbial blink of an eye.

Raytheon's approach to this technological breakthrough is equivalent to firing a weapon around a corner and hitting another weapon, while both speed through the air at hundreds of meters per second. Raytheon is the first company to develop and then prove this concept of engagement by successfully intercepting an RPG at close range.

"Quick Kill's speed, precision and effectiveness are truly amazing," said Glynn Raymer, vice president of Raytheon Combat Systems. "It offers our current force warfighters a level of battlefield protection that no one has ever seen before."

"We wanted to prove the APS technology as quickly as possible and accelerate its fielding to warfighters," said Johnny Garrett, director of Raytheon Integrated Systems. "Using our own money, Raytheon took Quick Kill from concept to reality in fewer than six months."

Raytheon Company, with 2005 sales of $21.9 billion, is an industry leader in defense and government electronics, space, information technology, technical services, and business and special mission aircraft. With headquarters in Waltham, Mass., Raytheon employs 80,000 people worldwide.

Background Notes and Information:

--Quick Kill's end-to-end testing occurred at the Energetic Materials Research and Testing Center, at New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology near Socorro, N.M.

--"Soft launch" is a technique in which a weapon -- in this case a small missile -- launches vertically from the combat vehicle, pitches over, is propelled by its rocket motor and then fires its weapon. The radar system sends threat track data to the weapon and enables surgically precise target destruction. A soft launch eliminates concussion of the vehicle and the troops inside it.

--RPGs are a major threat to U.S. troops and vehicles in Iraq and Afghanistan; Quick Kill's active protection addresses the problem. Its modular design facilitates installation on current U.S. Army platforms such as Stryker Brigade Combat Team vehicles and on future Army vehicles.

No interest in the US Army's "Aegis for tanks" program huh?

Comment

Nice, when will it be in service?

Not to denigrate their technical efforts, but how quickly can it defeat a threat and be ready to defeat another? You said yourself that M1A2s have been known to suffer dozens of RPG attacks and hits in a single engagement.
      HD Ready?

Comment

Put this on our armored vehicles and lets see what them Russians can say. Also I bet our troops will like it a whole bunch....

Comment

Wouldn't this device be kind of dangerous to nearby infantry?

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
            No interest in the US Army's "Aegis for tanks" program huh?
            Woo-Hoo! Alright! Great job! Go team! This is AWESOME! [WAB does a mod-sponsered wave]

Actually, this is pretty cool. Honestly, regarding the infantry, if an RPG is inbound, you may as well intercept it with Quick Kill, as the RPG hit will probably affect soldiers either taking cover near or besides the tank, anyway.
            The black flag is raised: Ban them all... Let the Admin sort them out.

I know I'm going to have the last word... I have powers of deletion and lock.

Comment

Originally posted by Horrido
              Woo-Hoo! Alright! Great job! Go team! This is AWESOME! [WAB does a mod-sponsered wave]

Actually, this is pretty cool. Honestly, regarding the infantry, if an RPG is inbound, you may as well intercept it with Quick Kill, as the RPG hit will probably affect soldiers either taking cover near or besides the tank, anyway.
              I actually think that while it's a neat idea and cool tech, it's not what i'd call cost effective.

If you read how this system works, it is automatically controlled by a portable AESA radar, and when it detects incoming rocket/ATGMs it fires of a 'soft-launch' Vertical launch guided missile which then performs a skin-skin kill on the incoming rocket.

LOL.....gee, how much does all that cost?

More than we can realistically pay, i'm guessing. The VLS guided mini-missiles themselves have got to be a bare minimum of 5k bucks a pop, and AESA technology is still cutting edge, and very expensive.

Comment

How does the Russian "Arena" system operate?

Is it possible the Quick Kill system's benefit may come from a psychological affect: To discourage shooting at them in the first place? Why waste shots at a tank if its defensive systems are likely to just knock them down?

I can also see a drawback if your own forces are also firing rockets in support of the armor: is the system capable of distinguishing between incoming enemy and outgoing friendly weapons?
                The black flag is raised: Ban them all... Let the Admin sort them out.

I know I'm going to have the last word... I have powers of deletion and lock.

Comment

Originally posted by Horrido
                  How does the Russian "Arena" system operate?

Is it possible the Quick Kill system's benefit may come from a psychological affect: To discourage shooting at them in the first place? Why waste shots at a tank if its defensive systems are likely to just knock them down?

I can also see a drawback if your own forces are also firing rockets in support of the armor: is the system capable of distinguishing between incoming enemy and outgoing friendly weapons?
                  There are a lot of problems with the system, such as debris kicked up by impacting rounds and exploding vehicles. What's to stop the system from false triggering if a 10lb branch or rock gets kicked up by an explosion 100 meters away and goes zingin' buy the tank at 400mph?

Nothing....same as the ARENA system.

And of course the risk posed to dismounts would be very high for either of the systems, just as it is with ERA.

Both ideas look real good in theory. In practice.......i am highly skeptical of both. The US system at least has the advantadge of being an LPI AESA radar, so the emmisions will be undetectable(the entire rationale behind using AESA to begin with, i'm sure). The Russian Arena radar would be detectable with any conventional RF/DF gear.
                  Last edited by Bill; 15 Feb 06,, 08:02.

Comment

Cool? Yes.

Pratical? Maybe.

Expensive? Hell yeah.

I guess we will always need to do things just to see if we can do it. Practicality be damned. Maybe some day this system can be cheap and effective to work in battlefield condition.
                    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

I actualy did search on how much is the price of Arena. I have seen few brochures of Arena E which was from 1999 when it was offered to UAE with the price ranging from $200K to $300K for a module which included some stock of spare rockets to reload the system. The difference was in the RADAR OPTIONS which I did not understand then. Probably it was due to aspects Sniper mentioned.

Anyway the system is not cheap in Russian standards.... for $300K you can buy a whole BMP-2! while a tank would cost you $1.5mln!

Comment

LOL, were those prices including cruise control, air conditioning, and leather interior? ;)

Comment

Congratulations on crossing the 10k post barrier Snipe

Comment

Originally posted by ZFBoxcar
                            Congratulations on crossing the 10k post barrier Snipe
                            Heh....why thank you sir. Do i gets me a fancy title like General Ray got now? ;)

Comment

I imagine so..anything in particular you would like Sir?

Comment

Working...
                              X