PDA

View Full Version : Some simple questions

Eisbrecher
07 Feb 06,, 12:34
Hi ya'all.

I'm a 15 year old kid in Bangkok, and for the past year or so I've spent a lot of class time figuring out gun mechanics. I've never fired a real gun except a few rounds in Vietnam on a fixed and mounted M4, and that was way before I got into firearms. I don't even own a BB gun, even those have strict reuglations in Thailand.

To my amazement, after some recent technical research, I found out many of the things I figured out on my own were real and working things. All from my basic physics knowledge and playing computer games. For example, I've drawn countless versions of an automatic rifle I designed, which I found out recently works in almost the exact way a Kalashnikov works. Similarily, I designed bolts/self-loading systems, flashhiders, different operating systems, etc. All on paper. I figured out a bullpup layout before I even saw one. Only recently have I actually been doing real research upon firearm mechanics and all my little concepts and other ideas are actually real. I figured out why magazines are curved and at different angles... I've created my own recoil operated system for handguns, and many many concepts, such as belt fed submachine guns, piped gas receivers for a lower open sight position (thus closer to the barrel) and a revolving bolt I'm not too sure about. I've even gone so far as to compare one of my older drawings with a G11. My version had an identical rotating 'bolt' (but a different firing pin system), same loading mechanism, and even the same notes I jotted down on the side about the delayed recoil.

Is this normal, I mean are many of these operating systems easily figured out/thought of, or am I just a rarity.

After doing some extra reading I've been playing a game with myself, reading some vocab and then spending a few days trying to figure out what it means and how it works. But there's one I'm just stuck on; Roller delayed mechanisms.... I'm absolutely stumped.

Another short question: How much pressure is needed to pull a bolt open or a pistol slide. Is it just the force needed to elimante the spring force? Or what?

And finally; one of my ideas; I'd scan the drawings I have but there are too many and I don't even have a scanner. It's sort of an automatic-revolver style self-loading system.

Here's a really quick paint job on the essentials.

http://www.totalirrelevance.zeeblo.com/images/other/RBC.JPG

But basically, picture a 'bolt' the size of a toilet paper roll tube. All solid, except 4 (or another reasonable number) hollow sections inside, all around the middle. These have a gap to allow the cartridges to be loaded in from a spring magazine, and are breeched by a solid when it is ready to be fired.

1st step, the round is loaded in from the spring, the 'bolt' revolves around the blue axis, and then when it reaches the top position the firing pin sends the bullet on it's way. The whole tube continues to revolve and from the revolving force the empty shell is ejected through a hole before reaching the loading position again.

Of course methods for powering this revolver and other details have been taken care of by my drawings, etc.

Thanks for any feedback.

cottage cheese
13 Feb 06,, 08:50
But there's one I'm just stuck on; Roller delayed mechanisms.... I'm absolutely stumped.

Good to see some one figurign out stuff while your'e still young.
Since as you'd mentioned, your understiding of physics is decent, here's the best techincal info available (atleast in my humble opinion) http://hkpro.com/technical.htm

It relates to the hard-science behind the roller delay mechanism of the HK G3, (and thus a whole bunch of HK weapons)

Remember, the roller delay/lock on the MG3 on the other hand works differently.

The roller delay is brutally simple and avoids al lot of hassle involved with other systems.