WWII Tank Destroyers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWII Tank Destroyers

I'm preparing a paper on American WWII tank destroyers and their doctrine. I'm about to order some books to help in my research but several Google searchs have so far come up fruitless. If anyone knoes of a good site or has has any personal knowledge to share I'd be greatly appreciative.

Originally posted by Wraith601
    I'm preparing a paper on American WWII tank destroyers and their doctrine. I'm about to order some books to help in my research but several Google searchs have so far come up fruitless. If anyone knoes of a good site or has has any personal knowledge to share I'd be greatly appreciative.
    A topic I have dabbled in myself. My book list for such is at home. I'll try to get it posted tonight.

-dale

Comment

Checkout LCol Robel's article here

The Evolution and Relative Effectiveness of the Interim Brigade Combat Team - Part 2 Battle Cruisers, Tank Destroyers, and Armored Cars - be sure to check out the biliorgraphy at the end of the article.

Comment

Right now I'm looking at US Tank and Tank Destroyer Battalions in the ETO 1944-45 (Battle Orders) , M10 and M36 Tank Destroyers 1942-53 (New Vanguard) , and M18 Hellcat Tank Destroyer 1943-97 (New Vanguard) all written by Stephen Zaloga as my primary sources. I need 2,000 words total so I don't know how in depth I can get. I'm hoping to start working on a preliminary outline in a week or so once things settle down as my grandmother recently passed away.
        Last edited by Wraith601; 03 Feb 06,, 07:49.

Comment

You should really look up Russian and German dispatches after Kursk. The Russians attacked the Elefant Tank Destroyer from the side rather than frontally, greatly reducing there effectiveness.
          "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

This site may offer good links including to books.
            http://www.tankdestroyersociety.com/ ;)
            Last edited by Dreadnought; 03 Feb 06,, 15:18.
            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Here's something from Fort Leavenworth:

http://www-cgsc.army.mil/carl/downlo...bs/doughty.pdf
              "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Right now I'm looking at US Tank and Tank Destroyer Battalions in the ETO 1944-45 (Battle Orders) , M10 and M36 Tank Destroyers 1942-53 (New Vanguard) , and M18 Hellcat Tank Destroyer 1943-97 (New Vanguard) all written by Stephen Zaloga as my primary sources. I need 2,000 words total so I don't know how in depth I can get. I'm hoping to start working on a preliminary outline in a week or so once things settle down as my grandmother recently passed away.
                Good books. Take a look at Bosnian Muslim M-18/T-55 hybrid. I'm sorry for your loss.

Comment

Due to length issues a complete analysis of tank destroyers is beyond the scope of this particular paper. I'm proably going to focus on US doctrine, the Germans alone produced so many TDs and assault gun designs you write book detailing them.

Comment

Working...
                  X