All the power to Chinese..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All the power to Chinese..

This is how China blocks/censor internet...

Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 as seen by Google France and Google China (January 2006)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interne...rship_in_China
    A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

an interesting point as mentioned by cctang of taiwan military forum, as this has shown up there as well.

-----
    Two thoughts on this:

- yes, Beijing censors. I don't think Google deserves the bad rap for that.

- and, what better symbol for the myopic view of China the English-speaking world has to deal with, than the 'google.com' search results. Tiananmen is significant for far more reasons than 6/4, but very few Americans are aware of that.

Here, for comparison sake, the uncensored "Taiwanese" Google view of 天安門. It doesn't ignore 6/4, but it's surely a very different picture from the English-language version.

http://images.google.com.tw/images?s...90%9C%E5%B0%8B
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Astralis,

Thats coz you are searching with chinese characters and not many tianamenn pictures are marked with chinese characters.

Try "Tianmen" using english alphabets and you'll see just one pic.
      http://images.google.com.tw/images?q...9C%96%E7%89%87
      A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Would that wikipedia article also be blocked in China?

Bastards.

Comment

Truth can be supressed but not hidden nor can it be changed. Perhaps one day the Chinese ruling elite will understand this.

Comment

Originally posted by Gautam
            Truth can be supressed but not hidden nor can it be changed. Perhaps one day the Chinese ruling elite will understand this.
            I doubt it. Their kind never does.
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I know someone who I send information to because it's all blocked over there.

Comment

Originally posted by Franco Lolan
                I know someone who I send information to because it's all blocked over there.
                If people really, really want information, they'll find ways to get it. It may take a very long time, but they'll get it eventually.

Comment

Working...
                X