PDA

View Full Version : DNA Testing: In Our Blood

Julie
31 Jan 06,, 17:54
It is connecting lost cousins and giving families surprising glimpses into their pasts. Now scientists are using it to answer the oldest question of all: where did we come from?

This article is pretty long so here is the link:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11080815/site/newsweek/

I wonder how many of us here are related? :biggrin:

dalem
31 Jan 06,, 19:15
I'll read the article later, but my mom's side of the family came over on the Mayflower - who am I NOT related to? ;)

-dale

Julie
31 Jan 06,, 19:35
I'll read the article later, but my mom's side of the family came over on the Mayflower - who am I NOT related to? ;)

-daleIndians, spaniards, and Germans perhaps?

dalem
31 Jan 06,, 19:46
Indians, spaniards, and Germans perhaps?

Slaves, generals, indians, and squirrels too, one would have to assume. ;)

-dale

Julie
31 Jan 06,, 20:05
Slaves, generals, indians, and squirrels too, one would have to assume. ;)

-daleOkay, okay, smarty pants is trying to kill my thread. Mr. "Lord High," if I may call you that sir. :tongue: Wouldn't it be nice to know if royalty is in your blood, or just plain pheasant? ;)

dalem
31 Jan 06,, 20:58
Okay, okay, smarty pants is trying to kill my thread. Mr. "Lord High," if I may call you that sir. :tongue: Wouldn't it be nice to know if royalty is in your blood, or just plain pheasant? ;)

I think my Mayflower hook is the Tilley family that were servants. Can't imagine there's much royalty there, or relevancy if it is. It was all a long time ago. I do have a set of books printed back in 1769 though, and that's pretty cool.

-dale

giggs88
31 Jan 06,, 21:06
I prefer the Genographic Project.

https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/journey.html

My senior project is gonna be about my family history.

Julie
31 Jan 06,, 21:19
DNA is the only real interest I've ever had to the area of science. It's came a long way, and is amazing to me. It's no way comparable to lie detector test and/or psychic investigation. Maybe I watch too much CSI. :redface:

You can even get DNA from a swipe of sweat. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060131/ap_on_sc/sweating_the_test;_ylt=AqsNGProKAihK8SUm1nU1sCs0NU E;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MzV0MTdmBHNlYwM3NTM-

JONESBORO, Ark. - Drug detection as easy as taking a swipe of someone's sweat could someday be in the hands of law enforcement, thanks to research conducted at the Arkansas Biosciences Institute at Arkansas State University.

Parihaka
31 Jan 06,, 23:03
Millions have Irish warlord's blood in their veins
By Regina and Douglas Haggo
The Hamilton Spectator
(Jan 28, 2006)

Genetic studies show that more than three million Irishmen are descended from a fifth-century Irish warlord known as Niall of the Nine Hostages.

More than 8 per cent of Irishmen worldwide and 20 per cent of those in Northern Ireland carry a genetic marker on their Y chromosome that can be traced to Niall.

That's according to research published in the American Journal of Human Genetics by Daniel Bradley of Trinity College Dublin and his colleagues.

Niall, who was famed for taking hostages from other powerful clans, was not the most productive warlord in history, it seems. Genghis Khan is believed to have more than 16 million descendants across Asia.
Ahh, nothing like a bit of rape and pillage............

bonehead
01 Feb 06,, 02:47
DNA is the only real interest I've ever had to the area of science. It's came a long way, and is amazing to me. It's no way comparable to lie detector test and/or psychic investigation. Maybe I watch too much CSI. :redface:

You can even get DNA from a swipe of sweat. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060131/ap_on_sc/sweating_the_test;_ylt=AqsNGProKAihK8SUm1nU1sCs0NU E;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MzV0MTdmBHNlYwM3NTM-

JONESBORO, Ark. - Drug detection as easy as taking a swipe of someone's sweat could someday be in the hands of law enforcement, thanks to research conducted at the Arkansas Biosciences Institute at Arkansas State University.

I am sencing a new anti perspirant commercial in the works.