• Show
Clear All

• Time for the USN to disband?:

This link will take you to a longgggggg paper:

http://www.g2mil.com/thompson.htm

Originally posted by rickusn
    This link will take you to a longgggggg paper:

http://www.g2mil.com/thompson.htm
    Yup, time to cash in all those ships, they are obviously useless. P-3s as well. (SARCASM@)

I can't believe these guys, don't they think that every excercise with foreigners would be at our less than top effort? Why bother to have the ego satisfaction if it reveals your advantages, like the airforce excercises in India... We didn't have our best in either of those two excercises. F-15s didn't have the latest radar. AESA, and neither did the f-16s this last year, and ROAs were restrictive of BVR, as the US would obviously desire to keep such advantages to themselves.

Don't take such reports seriously from excercises with foreign forces. The only thing that really matters is performance on the battlefield, and I don't think the USN has a real concern there. We ARE the state of the art.

Comment

"I can't believe these guys, don't they think that every excercise with foreigners would be at our less than top effort? "

The issues are far deeper than that.

I know a few experts of my own.

If I get any responses they will be shared.

Comment

Originally posted by rickusn
        "I can't believe these guys, don't they think that every excercise with foreigners would be at our less than top effort? "

The issues are far deeper than that.

I know a few experts of my own.

If I get any responses they will be shared.
        I read through it real quick, a few things that popped out.

Some of the things he has a point on such as ASW, MSM buthe doesn't understand why. Thats part of the problem. If he understood NATO agreements during the cold war then his statements about the Brit and Canadians being better than the US at ASW would have the disclamer that Of course they are better, That was what they were tasked with under NATO during the cold war. Thats what they trained for, Keeping the GUKI gap shut down, while the US took care of large CBG ops."

Granted the end of the cold war caught us in the shorts for any operation that we decide to go alone.

2 examples that he gave were pure BS with regards to the capabilities of the U.S. Navy. The RimPac exercise in which HMAS Waller sunk 2 carriers, sounds impressive until you discover that it wasn't a force on force US against other participants. Every country with more than 3 ships had participants on both sides.
        And the US carrier that was sunk by the Waller had a JSDF Navy screen. So what does that say about the US ASW abilities? Nothing. Also that carrier was "sunk" many times over, being a member of the "Red" Force.

And his Canadian ASW out sortied US Essex ASW carriers. Well once you find that the Canadian ship was updated by the Brits before turning her over with modern equipment and steam catapults. The Essex ASW variant were bottom of the barrel ships that weren't updated and still had hydraulic catapults, then the reasons become clear. To be fair he should have compaired like ships.

This isn't saying that everything is all rosy in the US Navy, but we arn't falling apart at the seams either.

Comment

I'm in partial agreement with the paper. A torpedo is a torpedo, missile a missile...either can sink a ship.

Comment

Working...
          X