Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super gun!!

http://www.therawfeed.com/2006/01/us...super-gun.html

The U.S. Army plans to test next month a SUPER GUN from a company appropriately called Metal Storm that can shoot 240,000 bullets per minute. The gun has no moving parts. Among its many tricks, the gun can actually shoot down enemy mortar fire. I want one.

http://www.metalstorm.com/
    http://upi.com/SecurityTerrorism/vie...0-070112-5273r
    A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

New super-gun to be tested in Feb

By PAMELA HESS
    UPI Pentagon Correspondent

WASHINGTON, Jan. 20 (UPI) -- Next month a new high-explosive munition will be fired in Singapore and then tested again by the U.S. Army, heralding what may be a sea change in weaponry: a family of guns that can fire at speeds of up to 240,000 rounds per minute, albeit in short bursts.

A Metal Storm gun of any size -- from a 9mm handgun up to a machine gun size or a grenade launcher -- has no moving parts other than the bullets or munition inside the barrel. Rather than chambering a single slug for each shot - very quickly in the case of machine guns -- the bullets come pre-stacked inside the barrel and can be shot all at once, or one at a time, as the shooter decides through the electronic controls.

Because there are no moving parts, the weapon is less likely to jam, and will presumably need less maintenance.

Lashing many barrels together dramatically increases the number of rounds fired per second. Once fired, however, each spent barrel has to be reloaded.

Its 40mm answer to the MK19 - the current automatic grenade launcher in use by the U.S. military - chambers up to 15 rounds in the barrel at once. They can be squeezed off one at a time or fired almost simultaneously. According to the company, this gives the Metal Storm gun 4,000 times the rounds-on-target capability of the MK19, which has a rapid fire rate of 60 rounds per second.

Starting in 2006 the company will demonstrate its prototypes with applicability that is especially likely to interest the U.S. military. The grenade launching weapon system can be mounted on an unmanned ground combat vehicle, an unmanned aerial vehicle, and might be used as a defense against rocket-propelled grenades and mortars.

Metal Storm's speed allows it to lay down a blinding wall of slugs that can intercept and pulverize incoming enemy fire, according to company CEO David Smith. As long as the grenade or mortar is fired from outside a range of about 50 meters or 162.5 feet and a Doppler radar is in use, a Metal Storm system could be an effective defense, he told UPI.

Closer than that and there is just not time to react.

"But if you are from 50 meters and beyond, if everything can work fast enough -- the radar -- there is enough time mathematically" to shoot down incoming fire, Smith said.

At least 153 U.S. troops have been killed in Iraq by enemy rockets and mortars since the start of the war. Nearly 2,000 have been wounded.

The grenade launcher barrel can also carry less-than-lethal munitions, like small bean- bags, sponge grenades or smoke. On Jan. 16, the Army awarded Metal Storm a $975,000 contract to further develop its non-lethal rounds.

"Our so-called competition is (the) Mk19 - grenade machine gun," Smith said. "It's enormously heavy. It takes six people to carry it into a battlefield scene. It's not mobile.

"But the military has had this transition out of big system warfighting into much lighter, higher firepower that can be carried into battle by individuals or light vehicles. Our guns have no moving parts -- so they have the same amount of fire power at significantly reduced weight ratio."

Metal Storm technology has been under development for about a decade, but a series of small-business innovative research contracts awarded recently by the Department of Energy and the Army means prototypes are now being produced and demonstrated.

"We are to the point we can start providing prototypes. The Army is very, very parochial in how they buy weapon systems," Smith said. "But now we can put it into an actual environment."

The company is also studying whether it can mount a Metal Storm weapon on a small unmanned helicopter, particularly looking at the recoil effect from the gun.

Smith said such a system - deployable down to the squad level -- could be useful in a place like Iraq, where it's a common tactic for insurgents to launch a mortar and then run. By the time soldiers on foot or in a vehicle get to the launch site, the shooters are long gone. But a UAV quickly launched can see where the shooters run to, and if a gun is on board, can shoot at them.

The Australian military is testing a Metal Storm gun of its own, the Advanced Individual Combat Weapon (AICW). The AICW combines both an assault rifle and a 40 mm grenade launcher in a single unit with a common trigger, allowing the shooter to choose which munition he wants to fire without having to refit his weapon. It also allows three grenades to be fired at once, whereas one is the only option in the current generation of weapons.

Metal Storm Inc. will demonstrate a high-explosive munition with a 10-meter (32.5 feet) burst radius in Singapore on Feb. 6, Smith said, and for the Army's Picatinny Arsenal and Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center later that month.

http://upi.com/SecurityTerrorism/vie...0-070112-5273r
    A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

I don't know. We have been hearing all kinds of hype from metalstorm since 01.
      They havn't lived up to the hype yet.

I'd hate to do the logistics on this.

Comment

S.w.o.r.d.s

Comment

Originally posted by Defcon 6
          S.w.o.r.d.s
          S.c.i.m.i.t.a.r.s.
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I want one of these when my daughter turns 13.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

You might want a set of ear plugs instead.

Comment

Metal Strom is situated in Brisbane, Australia and is very reliable. This could be it.

Comment

I really do not see any advantage this system has to offer over current systems. It's essentially a fancy shotgun.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape
                    I don't know. We have been hearing all kinds of hype from metalstorm since 01.
                    They havn't lived up to the hype yet.

I'd hate to do the logistics on this.
                    I saw a demo film of a metal storm unit set to a firing rate of 1,000,000rpm.

Impressive, to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
                      I really do not see any advantage this system has to offer over current systems. It's essentially a fancy shotgun.
                      CAVEAT: I am a satisfied Metalstorm shareholder (MTSX on the NASDAQ).

Sir,

While the Metalstorm concept is certainly not everything it has been hyped to be, it does appear to have enough potential applications to be worth pursuing.

The big advantage of the Metalstorm concept, obviously, is that it does away with the weight, complexity and cost of a breech block.

This advantage increases in direct proportion to projectile size.

Metalstorm is currently committed to weaponization of its technology around the 40mm grenade. The company's emphasis and US DOD funding is to develop systems for UAVs and other remote/robotic platforms. Given the weight and volume advantages of a 40mm Metalstorm system, it has the appearances of being the ideal weapon for these applications.

Mr. O'Dwyer's Metalstorm concept does offer some really good opportunities for clean slate approaches to some infantry weapons.

As projectile size increases, so does the advantage of packaging the projectiles and charges in the "roman candle" manner. Metalstorm pattern grenade launchers should certainly merit close attention even if there is some disagreement as to the system's merit for a wide basis of issue point target weapon.

When we look at alternative projectile shapes combined with the Metalstorm system, there are some very realistic possibilities for multibarreled point and area target combinations that could be made in a very compact envelope.

Why does a rifle/gl combo have to be an over/under combination?

Why not develop annular projectiles ala ring air foil grenades? Mate them to the Metalstorm system and nest one barrel axially inside of the other. This would make for a remarkably compact weapon with substantial capability.

Such an annular, repeating grenade launcher might even be adapted to replace the existing forend arrangements on the M4 or other Armalite pattern weapons in an effort to combine proven, familiar point target engagement capability with a repeating area target weapon without changing the general dimensional envelope of the whole system.

Naturally, a ring air foil grenade would preclude a shaped charge warhead, but a lightweight HE fragmenting grenade should pose no problems. However, a dual barreled weapon might be contrived to address the AP issue if we move to another position that has been articulated for the future of small arms: move away from solid projectiles entirely and rely on explosives to defeat OPFOR body armor and partially defiladed troops.

In this instance, a compact, double barreled grenade launcher might have an axial barrel with a few shaped charge grenades while the annular barrel contained our hypothetical ring air foil HE fragmenting grenade.

An identical arrangement might also be adapted to non lethal applications by axially packaging irritant agent projectiles and annullarly packaging a bean bag type of thingy.

Some other Metalstorm possibilities:

1. Liberator type disposable weapons, especially if the firing circuits might be burned via satellite signal if the shipment falls into the wrong hands (might be a partial remedy to loyalty problems with colaborationist paramilitary units or carpet bagger security opportunists of questionable vetting);

2. a slightly subcaliber, multishot insert and snap on control module to convert the widely distributed M203 and M79 pattern weapons into repeating grenade launchers which can be converted back to existing 40 mm by simply unloading the insert and reloading with the desired single round;

3. how about a disposable three or four shot HEDP grenade launcher "I'll throw it in the gutter and go get another" type arrangement?

4. the electronic firing circuitry of the Metalstorm concept lends itself quite nicely to the DOJ's "smart gun" concept for police, corrections officers, air marshalls, airline pilots or others who may have to carry weapons in situations where disarming or loss could be catastrophic. Metalstrom is already pursuing this angle with mock ups and prototypes.

The company's website is www.metalstorm.com and they have conceptual ideas as well as the usual PR hype but it is certainly worth a look. The site has photos and video footage of firing demonstrations.

As near as I can tell, the biggest problem in advancing the Metalstorm concept is the company's zeal in the quest to defend its intellectual property rights. It makes them difficult to work with and may be indicative of larger issues but only time will tell.

Best Regards,

William
                      Pharoh was pimp but now he is dead. What are you going to do today?

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                        I saw a demo film of a metal storm unit set to a firing rate of 1,000,000rpm.

Impressive, to say the least.
                        Not so impressive when you are the resupply guy. Imagine having to reload it every goddamn minute!!!

Comment

Plus finding enough ammo to keep them active would be a *****. I don't think the Army would be able to keep them supplied for long thanks to the enormous ammunition expenditure.
                          "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster
                            Not so impressive when you are the resupply guy. Imagine having to reload it every goddamn minute!!!
                            I think that you are misunderstanding the concept.

That million round a minute figure is exrapolated from tests and would not really apply in the real world.

This type of ROF makes for short, dense bursts of the type that are very handy for certain saturating, suppressive fires and CIWS applications.

Besides, as I pointed out in my post above, the beauty of the Metalstorm concept is in packaging and volumetric efficiency.

William
                            Pharoh was pimp but now he is dead. What are you going to do today?

Comment

William,

As nice as all your suggestions are, it will never happen. Hell, we're not going to the 6mm class ammo just because of the headaches and heartaches. Chances of even more radical changes as presented by Metal Storm are practically nil.

Comment

Working...
                              X