New Leader of African Union is mass killer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Leader of African Union is mass killer

Just when you thought African authorities could not get any more corrupt, they dumbfound me.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nation...mmit_Raid.html

As can be seen by this article the president of Sudan Omar El-Bashir ordered police to raid a human rights meeting last week. A meeting concerned with the average civillian of his country, he holds the members of the meeting for 3 hours taking equipment and then letting them go terrified.

The ironic thing here is, that he is to be elected the new head of the African Union. Yes, his country is in civil war and he is responsible for an estimated 180 000 and he brushes off the UN and continues to not take any notice of th organisation.

So what happens to this mass murderer?
    He gets elected head of the African Union.

Is there any justice in this world?

Originally posted by Commando
    Only that as applied by U.S. Marines.

-dale

Comment

Heh...so true Dalem. Unfortunately they won't be unleashing that justice anytime soon. Sudan is just gonna be another black eye on humanity.
      Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Again I feel compelled to state that the US should just let Africa rot in its own mess and out our aid money to good use in places where people WANT to improve things.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith601
          Again I feel compelled to state that the US should just let Africa rot in its own mess and out our aid money to good use in places where people WANT to improve things.
          Hard to devise an argument against this, in my opinion.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem
            Hard to devise an argument against this, in my opinion.

-dale
            I'ce seen work by an African economist, I forget his name, but he postulates that Western aid hurts Africa in the long run far more than it helps. By essentially making most Africans dependent on Western aid local reform and economic improvement is stagnant. As population levels continue to skyrocket aid spending can't and won't keep up. Of course the liberal solution is to boost aid even more but this only exacerbates and dealys the inevitable. I say we should cut ourselves loose from the sinking ship before it drags down even further.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith601
              Who created this mess?...Africa was colonisation by the europeans who went and took what they wanted and left their colonies in shambles. Its peoples were enslaved for generations and made to live in wrechedness because of colonisation. Then came the cold war that poured weapons in the hands of any dictator who would abide by the powers that be, the civil wars created famine and death came both by the bullet and hunger.

One must not blame the islamic fundamentalism of the Sudanese leader for all the ills of Africa.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree
                One must not blame the islamic fundamentalism of the Sudanese leader for all the ills of Africa.
                There comes a point where that colonial history no longer applies and that point past some 20 years ago.

Comment

Yes and look at the Congolese. The Belgiums contrbuted to 8 million of their deaths. No one talks about it though. If we had no borders we would have world peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
                    There comes a point where that colonial history no longer applies and that point past some 20 years ago.
                    Sir,
                    My post was specifically aimed at "letting the Africans rot",...Sudan is a different case, it was a decent country that has gone to the dogs because of islamic fundamentalism.

W.r.t the other African nations, the colonial powers never developed the nation building elements like political growth, education and economy. It was just exploitation. The richest natural resources can be found on the continent but strife has rendered these un-usable.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Commando
                      Just when you thought African authorities could not get any more corrupt, they dumbfound me.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nation...mmit_Raid.html

As can be seen by this article the president of Sudan Omar El-Bashir ordered police to raid a human rights meeting last week. A meeting concerned with the average civillian of his country, he holds the members of the meeting for 3 hours taking equipment and then letting them go terrified.

The ironic thing here is, that he is to be elected the new head of the African Union. Yes, his country is in civil war and he is responsible for an estimated 180 000 and he brushes off the UN and continues to not take any notice of th organisation.

So what happens to this mass murderer?
                      He gets elected head of the African Union.

Who doesn't have blood on their hands over there? That's the problem.
                      F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

W.r.t the other African nations, the colonial powers never developed the nation building elements like political growth, education and economy. It was just exploitation. The richest natural resources can be found on the continent but strife has rendered these un-usable.
                        Alot of it has to do with the Africans themselves, particularly the interior. Africa had civilization and lost it long before the 1st Europeans stepped foot onto that continent. Roman chronicals of great armies and cities in Africa were no joke.

If you look at Africa today, those who kept some semblence of civilization - Eygpt, Lybia, Algeria, almost all of North Africa are pretty decent countries. The same cannot be said of the interior. They went savage long before the 1st white man came and returned to savagery after they left.

Comment

Who created this mess?...Africa was colonisation by the europeans who went and took what they wanted and left their colonies in shambles. Its peoples were enslaved for generations and made to live in wrechedness because of colonisation. Then came the cold war that poured weapons in the hands of any dictator who would abide by the powers that be, the civil wars created famine and death came both by the bullet and hunger.

Even accepting your initial thesis of "it's the fault of colonialism", they've certainly had plenty of time and examples to better themselves, and they've fallen flat almost without exception.

-dale

Comment

not as much time as you think; it's only been in the last fifteen years before cold war support for one dictator over another has ended.

things went to hell in the 1960s; all-too-sudden decolonization meant that democracy turned right into the tyranny of the majority- especially as the europeans had played up tribal differences in the old game of divide-and-conquer. funny to think about it now, but at the time of independence many african nations were on par with many of the nations of east asia, if not better.

probably the worst thing that happened was the complete british paradigm shift from "the sun never sets on the british empire" to "thank god we're rid of it!" there was no intervening stage. this was perhaps one of the bad legacies that churchill left behind.

but certainly, the africans themselves need to shoulder some of the "blame". my guess is that it hasn't been too easy for a traditionally tribal-based political environment to evolve into nationalism. china had the same problem in the late 1800s.
                            Last edited by astralis; 26 Jan 06,, 05:33.
                            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                            X