France Talks Tough on Terror...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• France Talks Tough on Terror...

Well, it appears that those who have been derogatorily reffered to as pussys in the past are threatening to not pussyfoot in the future:

France defends right to nuclear reply to terrorism
    By Reuters January 19 11:50

France said on Thursday it would be ready to launch a targeted nuclear strike against any state that carried out a terrorist attack on French soil.

In a speech defending France’s costly nuclear deterrent and toughening policy against terrorism, President Jacques Chirac said Paris must be able to hit back hard at a hostile state’s centres of power and its “capacity to act”.

“The leaders of states who would use terrorist means against us, as well as those who would consider using in one way or another weapons of mass destruction, must understand that they would lay themselves open to a firm and adapted response on our part,” Chirac said during a visit to northwestern France, where France’s nuclear submarines are based.

“This response could be a conventional one. It could also be of a different kind.”

Chirac said all of France’s nuclear forces had been configured with this strategy in mind and the number of nuclear warheads on French nuclear submarines had been reduced to allow targeted strikes.

It was the first time he had so clearly linked the threat of a nuclear response to a terrorist attack, but he made no mention of any specific threat against France.

“Against a regional power, our choice would not be between inaction or annihilation,” he said.

“The flexibility and reactivity of our strategic forces would enable us to exercise our response directly against its centres of power and its capacity to act.”

---END---

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/e805e2d4-88...0779e2340.html
    Pharoh was pimp but now he is dead. What are you going to do today?

Somebody please remind Chirac that terrorists come from the shadows to kill and then disappear right back into them if they are not killed during the assult. They dont stand in a capital city and broadcast it first like the leader of a country would. IMO the nuclear deterent he speaks of would be a waste and useless against terrorists. Pehaps it may deter a rouge country but not terrorists in general. and thats what his country has been facing terrorists at large.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Chirac used to be the most cynical man on the planet. He's now one of the most hysterical, too.

France - our Gallic burden.

Comment

Ahh, the things a man will say when he's desperate to avoid prison.

What a clown.

-dale

Comment

Sounds to me like Chirac and Condi had lunch together. ;)

Comment

Nice to see the French sit up... Now to get them to stand...
            Originally posted by Dreadnought
            Somebody please remind Chirac that terrorists come from the shadows to kill and then disappear right back into them if they are not killed during the assult. They dont stand in a capital city and broadcast it first like the leader of a country would. IMO the nuclear deterent he speaks of would be a waste and useless against terrorists. Pehaps it may deter a rouge country but not terrorists in general. and thats what his country has been facing terrorists at large.
            All terrorist groups have sponsors...
            No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
            I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
            even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
            He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought
              Somebody please remind Chirac that terrorists come from the shadows to kill and then disappear right back into them if they are not killed during the assult. They dont stand in a capital city and broadcast it first like the leader of a country would.
              Very well said. This guy is blustering, trying to make himself and his country look like they are tough by rattling their nuclear saber.

Nope, I don't buy it for an instant.

Any country that uses nukes without overwhelming and unequivocal evidence of a similar terrorist WMD attack on themselves will be a pariah amongst nations and villified as barbarians. Even WITH such evidence, there will be other nations that will probably cut all economic and diplomatic ties with them. (Note, those nations won't have ever experienced a terrorist attack before)

The actual use of WMD is counter-productive IMHO. The political and economic costs are incalcuable.

Originally posted by Confed999
              All terrorist groups have sponsors...
              Yeah, millionaire Saudi building contractors.
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Give me a break. A man who won't send out the army against rioters got the balls to use nukes?

Comment

Colonel,

The French are very temperamental and quixotic people.

One does not know whether they will launch a nuke or kiss a hand!

Both are equally dangerous! ;)

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
                    Give me a break. A man who won't send out the army against rioters got the balls to use nukes?
                    Hey that's not the Army's job, they've got the Gendarmerie Nationale for that. And I'm guessing the threat is more directed against any NATION that would attack French civilian targets, I guess a nuclear strike against a military facility would be a heavy-handed, yet justifiable response. But nuking a city because some brainwashed simpleton set off a nail bomb on a bus doesn't really make a lot of sense to me. And I dont think they mean business when they say they'd use nuclear weapons in response to an invasion of a French ally or source of 'strategic materials', that does sound like trash-talk to me. My guess is Chirac wants to show that Europe is as hardcore as America after all, they just need different reaons. I wonder how the Mayor of Iran will react, maybe we'll all get to laugh as he goes nuts on camera again.

Comment

The correct thing to do now is for all the non-muslims to unite and make Islam illegal world-wide punishable by the death. Those who refuse to give up Islam volentarily will be thrown into the gas chambers and ovens by the train load.

Comment

I seriously hope that your kidding with that post?

Comment

and even if he was,...

that's not funny.
                          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Major Armstrong, let's watch remarks like that.
                            I like to use hyperbole just as much as the next guy but even going by the assumption that you were not serious, that's just not a good thing to say in that fashion.
                            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

There is no space for that here nor tolerance.

Comment

Working...
                              X