Parrot squawks on woman's affair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parrot squawks on woman's affair

A parrot owner was alerted to his girlfriend's infidelity when his talkative pet let the cat out of the bag by squawking "I love you Gary".

Suzy Collins had been meeting ex-work colleague "Gary" for four months in the Leeds flat she shared with her partner Chris Taylor, according to reports.

Mr Taylor apparently became suspicious after Ziggy croaked "Hiya Gary" when Ms Collins answered her mobile phone.

The parrot also made smooching sounds whenever the name Gary was said on TV.

New home

Mr Taylor, 30, a computer programmer, confronted the woman he had lived with for a year who admitted the affair and moved out, several newspapers reported.

He also gave up his eight-year-old African Grey parrot after the bird continued to call out Gary's name and refused to stop squawking the phrases in his ex-girlfriend's voice.

"I wasn't sorry to see the back of Suzy after what she did, but it really broke my heart to let Ziggy go," he said.

"I love him to bits and I really miss having him around, but it was torture hearing him repeat that name over and over again."

Ms Collins, 25, said: "I'm not proud of what I did but I'm sure Chris would be the first to admit we were having problems."

Ziggy - named after David Bowie's former alter ego Ziggy Stardust - has now found a new home through the offices of a local parrot dealer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4619764.stm

Originally posted by ZFBoxcar
    "I love him to bits and I really miss having him around, but it was torture hearing him repeat that name over and over again."
    That's funny. I have an African Grey, same type as the one in this article, and it's true - once they learn a word or phrase, they never forget it. Use the voice of the person they learned it from as well. Mine kept repeating my ex-boyfrined's name over and over, but we parted on good terms, remain close friends, so it was not a problem. Nice birds, smart, but they can be jerks - like to get your attention and if screaming annoying sounds or words works, they do it.
    Insanity is doing the same thing over and over
    and expecting a different result.
    Albert Einstein.

Comment

Originally posted by mostlymad
      That's funny. I have an African Grey, same type as the one in this article, and it's true - once they learn a word or phrase, they never forget it. Use the voice of the person they learned it from as well. Mine kept repeating my ex-boyfrined's name over and over, but we parted on good terms, remain close friends, so it was not a problem. Nice birds, smart, but they can be jerks - like to get your attention and if screaming annoying sounds or words works, they do it.
      So how do they taste fried?

Comment

My ex-roomate also has an African Grey. For some reason he repeated much more of what I said than what my roomate said.
        Probably because I made more of an effort...
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Man, that's great. Poetic justice.
          "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape
            So how do they taste fried?
            LOL

I like parrots, I LOVE blue macaws. I really do (sauteed, though - not so much fried) . If they are behind glass at the zoo. Birds really freak me out. Especially really big birds (even the big yellow one, yes ).
            "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

I have a big bird phobia.

Birds and reptiles..

Comment

Originally posted by giggs88
                I have a big bird phobia.

Birds and reptiles..
                you'd hate my place, then -

1 african grey parrot
                2 society finch
                2 huge iguanas
                2 leopard geckos
                1 jungle carpet python
                1 ball python
                1 eastern king snake
                1 hog nose snake
                1 bearded dragon
                1 monitor
                1 veiled chameleon
                assorted frogs
                1 rainbow skink
                3 ferrets
                1 dog
                1 hybrid wolf/dog
                1 rat
                3 spiny mice
                2 hedgehogs

(we started with only a few, but got into rescue)
                (know anyone who can take 50 red eared turtles?)
                Albert Einstein.

Comment

These would freak me out:
                  1 african grey parrot
                  2 society finch

I would LOVE these! Where do you live, I am on my way over !!:
                  2 huge iguanas:
                  (I used to have three - one of mine was even litter box trained!)
                  2 leopard geckos:
                  (I had a Tokay Gecko for a week or so until he was picked up and taken to his new home-I used to do rescue as well. Mean little guys they are.)
                  1 ball python:
                  (I also had one of these-I have been thinking of getting a snake again as my daughter is little and I would like her to get used to them now and if I did a ball python would probably be it since they are usually so calm)
                  1 monitor:
                  (what kind? I had a Nile Monitor-very pretty lizards they are)
                  1 veiled chameleon:
                  (I did have a pair of Jacksons-very cool little creatures.)
                  1 rat:
                  (Food items don't count as pets :) )
                  "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

you'd hate my place, then -

1 african grey parrot
                    2 society finch
                    2 huge iguanas
                    2 leopard geckos
                    1 jungle carpet python
                    1 ball python
                    1 eastern king snake
                    1 hog nose snake
                    1 bearded dragon
                    1 monitor
                    1 veiled chameleon
                    assorted frogs
                    1 rainbow skink
                    3 ferrets
                    1 dog
                    1 hybrid wolf/dog
                    1 rat
                    3 spiny mice
                    2 hedgehogs

(we started with only a few, but got into rescue)
                    (know anyone who can take 50 red eared turtles?)
                    I bet none of your guests overstay your welcome.
                    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'...till you can find a rock. ;)

Comment

[QUOTE=TopHatsLiberal
                      1 rat:
                      (Food items don't count as pets :) )[/QUOTE]

yeah, I know. We use mostly mice for pet food because the rats can make good pets and the kids always end up hiding one or two; this rat has been around forever.

The monitor is a Savannah. If you are familiar with them, they don't get really big (relative to Niles, anyway, and are extremely gentle. We did have a Nile for awhile, but she was nasty, vicious, never managed to tame her down. The carpet python was pretty agressive as well, but now he's just a sweetie.

I agree that ball pythons are nice, gentle snakes. Ours if terrific.

(birds actually freak me out, too, but I'm getting better with them.)
                      Albert Einstein.

Comment

...relative to Niles, anyway, and are extremely gentle. We did have a Nile for awhile, but she was nasty, vicious, never managed to tame her down.
                        My Nile was never really "tame" either. I dont think it is possible to tame one. I just always made sure there were two of us there especially during feeding time. He was normally okay and would not come at us for no reason, but I would not have wanted to have been the one there for the 1st time it happened.

Comment

My ex-roommate's zoo included (at one time or another during my stay there)

1. Albino Burmese Python (huge)
                          2. African Grey Parrot (loquacious)
                          3. Savannah Monitor (prehistoric)
                          4. Water Monitor ("escaped")
                          6. Sugar Glider (annoying)

Oh yeah, and his Blue & Gold Macaw (deceased) was on eternal kitchen guard duty.

I won't include the 6 outside cats because they were mostly just freeloaders.
                          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Can I bring my knife and hot sauce?

Between the various schools and training I've ate many of the mentioned birds, lizzards, frogs, rats, mice, dogs and cats.

And usually said "With a little hot sauce this wouldn't be half bad."

Comment

Working...
                            X